Limiting Uers to download documents from Google Drive

Limiting users to download documents from Google drive,

when a user shares a document with another user with Editor Permission, we need limit downloading the document, is it Possible In google workspace?

requirement: -

the invited user can edit the file from that that sheet, Slide or Doc but he/she not able to download the file on his computer 

let me know if you have any solution on this

Solved Solved
0 17 3,319
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi, unfortunately, that is not possible. The moment someone has Editor access, they can download. You can only restrict downloads for the Viewer and Commenter roles. 

View solution in original post

No. it is not possible at this moment. Editors will have an option to download.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Hi, unfortunately, that is not possible. The moment someone has Editor access, they can download. You can only restrict downloads for the Viewer and Commenter roles. 

Hi @cryptochrome  is this possible in Enterprise Standard with DLP

You would need BeyondCorp Enterprise, an add-on to Workspace.  It gives you the ability to block downloads in chrome.  It would work the same exact way as DLP for Drive.  You choose the content you are looking for, Social Security number for example.  Then you can prevent download, upload, or content pasted if it contains a SSN.  Screenshots below.  Note, though, there is a minimum spend requirement to get access to BeyondCorp Enterprise.  It is more of a cloud platform-focused security tool but also gives you DLP for Chrome.

newman_0-1675441905305.png

newman_1-1675441960197.png

@newman will it be only applied to the users with chrome os or chrome browser?

what are the costs for BeyondCorp Enterprise , I always wondered about its features a rough idea about the pricing could be great.

It would be applied to any chrome browser enrolled in cloud-managed chrome browsers

Once you have access to BCE you will have the settings, in the screenshot below, for upload/download and paste. Configure those settings and then create a normal workspace DLP rule and choose chrome.

Pricing is $6 or $4 user/month depending on the edition.  On the pricing page it mentions a minimum purchase. I've seen companies under that threshold get it.  It's all up to what Google wants to do. As I mentioned previously this is just a piece of BCE. If your Cloud infrastructure is on Google Cloud Platform BCE is definitely worth investigating.

newman_0-1675445138605.png

Hi @newman, this is really great to know and to investigate. It is adding
new layers of training, setup, alignment, time, effort and cost but that's
life. Thank you again for putting BCE in our realm of knowladge, while we
are searching for the right solutions. And BCE looks ready to give it a try
but how is threshold commitment works? Is this based on our total spending
on Workspace in a time interval? Or we can just apply and see what will
happen.

See you

Demir

My understanding is that the threshold commitments are based on the total spend of BeyondCorp Enterprise. The total for a year should meet those numbers on the pricing page.  If you do a multi-year contract, they might do a total for all years.  Check with your Google rep, they may have a lower threshold they can give you or possibly special pricing. 

No. it is not possible at this moment. Editors will have an option to download.

this will be an security issue any how will wait until google comes up with an solution 

A possible workaround for you in the meantime: Give them the commenter role. Commenters are allowed to make edits in suggestion mode, and you can restrict them from downloading, printing, and sharing. 

Hi guys @cryptochrome@eksalih@jaspreetnarang@Jessica_CM 

Could you please review this thread?

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Feature-Ideas/Google-Sheets-Security-Sensitive-Data-Editor-a...

This feature idea was sent from my work account. I am also not able to see this link from my personal account here which is weird. And I couldn't find this feature idea in the entire forum from my personal account. A week passed since submitting it, and it didn't get any reasonable pageviews. I didn't understand why. When clicking this link I cannot access the URL. I see the "Access Denied" disclaimer.  So here is the screenshot of the page in case you wouldn't access too. https://photos.app.goo.gl/S3CtTvfnxKkox5Lq9

Thank you for your time and kind opinions

Regards

Demir

image (5).png

If you do not already have access to Feature Ideas from one of your accounts, you need to request it first. See https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/custom/page/page-id/Workspace-Feature-Ideas-FAQ for how to do that.

Once you have that access, youโ€™ll be able to follow the link to your idea. 

To help set expectations, Iโ€™ve been a Workspace admin for someplace around 10 years now. (Greetings from UC Berkeley!) In my experience, even extremely popular and important feature ideas take between 9 months and a year from conception to completion. And those are the quick ones. It can definitely be frustrating!

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks for this detailed FAQ page and your thoughtful insights. Now I understood the difference between this public forum and the other paid forum. Promoting the idea will make some difference. I can imagine the time frames needed for development from start to finish.

Greeting from Bursa, Turkey.

Demir

@Demir_Aydemir feature ideas is a restricted area. It requires you use a workspace business email to be granted access.  I have access and upvoted your feature idea. -KAM

Thanks very much for supporting me @KAM I found this forum is more vibrant, other paid forum was going a bit silent. Do you advise me to submit my issues here also?

@Demir_Aydemir this is a forum of fellow admins so it's usually good when you give as much as you take. -KAM

@eksalih Even by using the Enterprise DLP, you can only block the visitor and commenter downloads.

I would have tried the Activity Rules from Rules area with below criteria as an alternative, where I can prevent download to any confidential labeled documents, but unfortunately the activity rules still don't have a an action added for this

You can still get an alert if you want.

ajojose33333344_0-1675440877941.png