You have reached the limit of 300 assignments for all rules

Colleagues, I wanted to adjust my routing rules in Google Workspace under APP Gmail. I got the following error message "You have reached the limit of 300 commands for all lines". Is there an actual limit on this? Is expansion possible? Anyone have experience? Thank you! Greetings Gregory

Solved Solved
3 9 996
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Yes, we have reduced the amount of address mappings that a domain can have from the previous 5000 to 300.

Unfortunately, we needed to reduce the limit as part of urgent improvements to Gmailโ€™s system stability. We will be updating the public documentation as soon as we are able.

Attempts to create more will fail, if you already have more than 300 mappings you will be unable to create more or update the existing mappings unless the number is reduced to below 300.

We are evaluating requests for more than 300 mappings on a case-by-case basis, please submit a ticket with our support teams to pursue this route here

View solution in original post

So, basically, just ask general support to increase your quota.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Yes, we have reduced the amount of address mappings that a domain can have from the previous 5000 to 300.

Unfortunately, we needed to reduce the limit as part of urgent improvements to Gmailโ€™s system stability. We will be updating the public documentation as soon as we are able.

Attempts to create more will fail, if you already have more than 300 mappings you will be unable to create more or update the existing mappings unless the number is reduced to below 300.

We are evaluating requests for more than 300 mappings on a case-by-case basis, please submit a ticket with our support teams to pursue this route here

So, basically, just ask general support to increase your quota.

In case anyone is wonder why one would need this many routing rules. I work in IT for a school system that uses Google Workspace for staff and student email. We frequently get requests from schools to block Student A and Student B from being able to email each other for disciplinary reasons. The only way I know to do that is to create 2 routing rules: one rule to block A from sending to B, and a second rule to block B from sending to A. This uses up 2 rules for one incident. These can add up quickly in a large school system.

I'm not sure that's relevant to this issue, as I think it only applies to Recipient Address Map.

Am I wrong? Have you been restricted from creating regular Routing or Content Compliance rules?

I just spent an hour with Support and they confirmed that the email forwarding/mapping feature should still be functional, however edits to the rule (additions, deletions, changes) are disabled, and new rules are not allowed. No ETA on a resolution. They insist I will be notified and that they're working diligently on it.

After contacting Google Support, they removed the restrictions. So I can adjust more than 300 forward again. This is indispensable for us because we have more than 15 different domains within our school community. Thanks for the inputs everyone! Gregory

Bribe? ๐Ÿ™‚

How did you manage?

Haha no :-)! I contacted Google Support and explained our situation.

I don't know if they got rid of it universally, but the restrictions have been lifted for me as well.