using Gemini with in workspace

I am a google workspace user with "Gemini Enterprise" paid plan

I would like to use gemini because our workspace on google is 14 years old and we use workspace for all coloration, drive, gmail, chat, meet etc etc.

although i am paying "Gemini Enterprise" i am penalized because I am goggle workspace user.
the messages and the way gemini operates for me feels unpolished or unfinished.

using paid versions of chatgpt since day one, this feels like dejavu
1) example:
click on manage subscription > gemini sends you google one since i am on google workspace account, there is no google one "message on teh screen is asking me to switch to perosnal account" what is the point .
my Gemini is under "google workspace"  message link and suggestions are all wrong

2)
so there is no  "Gemini extensions not available when signed in with a workspace account"

so do I just use Gemini, as a separated independent chatbox?
If this is the case i am better of with chatgpt at this moment, and should cancel the Gemini subscription.

any suggestions? am i missing something?

1 7 350
7 REPLIES 7

@ZoTaR Gemini for Workspace currently doesn't have the extension that you are looking for.  It is "coming soon" but that could mean several moons before that occurs.

Right now, I would recommend you use a separate Google Chrome profile for your Workspace instances without the consumer Gemini extension that works with Gmail but not workspace.

Additionally, Gemini for Workspace is integrated in a number of ways.  NOTE: You might need to turn on Workspace Labs for Gemini.

Then here's a few things you can do:

#1 Help write an email and improve it. - Look for the "Help me Write" near the Send Button.

#2 Create a new document / policy / press release and treat it as a great framework. - In Google Docs, look for the "Help me Write" and it is always in the right hand floating menu where the comment function is located. Tools->Gemini also works.

#3 Use the same technique above to research topics

#4 Image Generation - You can create Meet Backgrounds with AI, remove backgrounds from images in Slides, and create images in slides - In slides, start with Insert->Image->Create Image with Gemini

#5 Help with spreadsheets - Under Insert->Help me Organize, you can ask Gemini for help creating spreadsheets, performing a pivot, and formatting your data

#6 Translation - You don't need Gemini to do this for all languages but in Docs, go to Tools->Translate Document and quickly create a copy of your document in many languages.

Some Translation Tips:
A - Write things with AI translation in mind i.e. Know your Audience. Use simpler grammar and words.
B - Avoid Idioms and slang. I find this very hard but super important!
C - Test your writing by translating across continents such as translating from English to Chinese to Spanish and back to English. Does it retain itโ€™s basic meaning?

One of the announcements I liked from Google Next a few weeks ago was this one: https://support.google.com/drive/answer/14217860?hl=en and you might find this wrap up of the 218 announcements from Next 2024 interesting: https://cloud.google.com/blog/topics/google-cloud-next/google-cloud-next-2024-wrap-up 

HTH, KAM

@KAM all the items you have listed I need to daily buy in my WORKSPACE account.

what is teh point of this, do i need to copy an email trail to my private @gmail account > write a reply with the help of Gemini > then copy it back to workspace account .

Am I the ONLY one who thinks this is NOT a logical approach. 

@ZoTaR can concentrate on one feature that you want so we can help you better?  For example are you only referring to Help me write in Gmail?  That's this option outlined in red below:

Screenshot 2024-04-25 11.19.04.png

Is the output of what Help me write gives you your biggest complaint?  This is not available on a personal account so I'm not sure where that's coming into your workflow?

If you're referring to the Gemini Chat web ui, https://gemini.google.com/app, then you should see this is customised for you as you're paying got Gemini Enterprise you will see that's for your domain (compare the two screenshots below for an account that does pay for Gemini, steegle, and one that does not)

Screenshot 2024-04-25 11.25.44.png

Screenshot 2024-04-25 11.29.28.png

This chat interface is like Chat GPT, disconnected from Gmail, but you can ask it to write any text you like, but I'm guessing you want to benefit from being able to read the email thread - if so then I suggest you use the fist option I illustrated, Help me write as this is integrated into Gmail and give a better response, e.g. here's the response from Help me write using the prompt "Write a response to ZoTaR":

Hi ZoTaR,

Thank you for raising your concerns. I understand your frustration with the current limitations of Gemini for Workspace. While I agree that the lack of integration with Workspace can be inconvenient, I believe that Gemini still has a lot to offer Workspace users.

As KAM mentioned, Gemini is integrated with Workspace in a number of ways, including the ability to help write emails, create documents, research topics, generate images, and organize spreadsheets. While these features may not be as seamless as you would like, they can still be helpful in getting your work done.

I would also like to point out that Gemini is still in its early stages of development. Google is constantly working to improve the product, and I am confident that we will see more integration with Workspace in the future. In the meantime, I encourage you to experiment with Gemini and see how it can help you be more productive.

Best regards,

Stephen Hind

Screenshot 2024-04-25 11.39.22.png

As you can see this has included a mention to KAM and what he said because it can read the whole thread in Gmail, even though it's not mentioned in the immediate reply.

Here's a comparison with using the Gemini Chat app with the same "Write a response to ZoTaR" prompt, but giving the chat app just your latest message (I'm not going to paste the text, just the screenshot):

Screenshot 2024-04-25 11.45.23.png

As you can plainly see this is pretty useless as it cannot see the whole thread of emails and it's a waste of time even trying to take this approach.  I think the only way you can do this is for when Google Workspace accounts get access to the Gemini Extensions, or you'de have to dump in the whole thread.  Just for fun I tried to do that and...
Screenshot 2024-04-25 11.49.51.png

I definitely suggest you look at help me write as it gave a good response and appears it could read the whole thread of emails.  I believe this is what you're trying to achieve (get a good response to an email) but using a different approach, Help me write instead of the chat interface.

Let us know if this isn't what you're trying to achieve and we may be able to better help, but I am pleasantly surprised by what Help me write produced.

@ZoTaR Have you purchased licenses for Gemini for Workspace? -KAM

@KAM he said he had:

although i am paying "Gemini Enterprise" i am penalized because I am goggle workspace user.

@StephenHind I wonder if he is using a Google Profile for the Workspace account.  I can definitely see Gemini Enterprise getting confused otherwise.  For example, the Gemini manage comment.  That doesn't sound like the Workspace edition of Gemini to me. 

Same with the question about copying to Gmail.  The Help me Write should show up if he has Gemini Enterprise but perhaps he's missing the Gemini for Workspace Lab being enabled.

Anyway, just trying to help. -KAM

For 

#1 - yes we are aware of this oversight and there is work being done to remediate it

#2 - correct, this is on the roadmap happening soon. 

There are multiple reasons consumer-facing features won't appear immediately for enterprise workspace users, some of them require admin controls to be created, others require additional development to ensure compliance with other workspace policies and features.