Passing oAuth Bear token to subsequent call

Hi,

I have a requirement where i need to pass Bear token to subsequent call. I implemented the solution but looking for better solution from experts.

The solution which i implemented is to get Bear token, i used SC policy and hardcoded username, password and grant_type then extracted token from response payload.

rajkalgur_0-1702535131135.png

rajkalgur_1-1702535209704.png

then used AM and set the Authorization header and sending the payload to target endpoint.

rajkalgur_2-1702535362514.png

This solution is working fine at this moment. Please suggest me if there is any better way to achieve the requirement.

Solved Solved
1 4 268
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

First thing, there is a difference between a Bear and a Bearer Token.  The former is a large omnivorous mammal, and the latter is an object that you can use within the OAuth2.x API authorization framework. 

_2e2870b8-a605-4d3b-871c-bc37833edce7.jpg

OK, just kidding around.

What you're doing is fine - a ServiceCallout to send credentials to an endpoint, and then ExtractVariables to extract the token from the response, and then an AssignMessage to embed the access token into the outbound request.  A suggestion for improvement (you may have already considered this): use caching of the access token so that you don't obtain a new token for every outbound request.  The sequence will be

• a LookupCache (for the token)
  • If no token then
    • ServiceCallout to request token 
    • ExtractVariables to extract token from response
    • PopulateCache to stuff the retrieved access_token into cache
  • AssignMessage to assign the retrieved token into the outbound request. 

Last thing.  I have said this repeatedly in many places, but I'll say it again here.  This line within an AssignMessage does nothing: 

<AssignTo createNew='false' transport='http' type='request'/>

I suggest that you remove it.

If you run your API proxy bundle through Apigeelint, it will give you a warning about this. 

View solution in original post

Hi Dino,

yeah, I have not realized. its a Bearer token. I am trying to implement caching. few thinks are not clear for me from the APIGEE documentation regarding <Cachekey>, <KeyFragment>

and what value goes under <CacheResource>. looks like i am caching complete response from SC. is it possible to cache only access_token from response json? 

currently i am passing extracted value to <KeyFragment>access_token</KeyFragment> under lookup and populate cache.

You can omit the CacheResource element. 

Here's an example of "wrapping a cache" around a token retrieved with ServiceCallout. 

https://github.com/DinoChiesa/Apigee-GCP-Logging-Example/blob/main/bundles/gcp-logging/apiproxy/prox... 

4 REPLIES 4

First thing, there is a difference between a Bear and a Bearer Token.  The former is a large omnivorous mammal, and the latter is an object that you can use within the OAuth2.x API authorization framework. 

_2e2870b8-a605-4d3b-871c-bc37833edce7.jpg

OK, just kidding around.

What you're doing is fine - a ServiceCallout to send credentials to an endpoint, and then ExtractVariables to extract the token from the response, and then an AssignMessage to embed the access token into the outbound request.  A suggestion for improvement (you may have already considered this): use caching of the access token so that you don't obtain a new token for every outbound request.  The sequence will be

• a LookupCache (for the token)
  • If no token then
    • ServiceCallout to request token 
    • ExtractVariables to extract token from response
    • PopulateCache to stuff the retrieved access_token into cache
  • AssignMessage to assign the retrieved token into the outbound request. 

Last thing.  I have said this repeatedly in many places, but I'll say it again here.  This line within an AssignMessage does nothing: 

<AssignTo createNew='false' transport='http' type='request'/>

I suggest that you remove it.

If you run your API proxy bundle through Apigeelint, it will give you a warning about this. 

Hi Dino,

yeah, I have not realized. its a Bearer token. I am trying to implement caching. few thinks are not clear for me from the APIGEE documentation regarding <Cachekey>, <KeyFragment>

and what value goes under <CacheResource>. looks like i am caching complete response from SC. is it possible to cache only access_token from response json? 

currently i am passing extracted value to <KeyFragment>access_token</KeyFragment> under lookup and populate cache.

You can omit the CacheResource element. 

Here's an example of "wrapping a cache" around a token retrieved with ServiceCallout. 

https://github.com/DinoChiesa/Apigee-GCP-Logging-Example/blob/main/bundles/gcp-logging/apiproxy/prox... 

Hi Dino,

I gone through the video's which you shared in youtube and implemented cache. I am testing it. Will let you know the results.