App sync causing loss of visibility of latest entries - mobile devices

Hi - hope someone can help - we are seeing in the last few days sync issues after a form entry has been saved.  This is happening on iOS and Android. The problem is users are thinking the entry is lost after the sync and then they re-enter it, but after they sync back up again the original entry returns and they now have 2 duplicated entries. I sense there is a time factor at play (note time in pics) as in trying to replicate the issue, I actually lost both new entries but eventually they both came back after a few forced syncs. Appreciate any help or ideas on why this is happening?

General scenario for single entry is as below:

1) after the save button is hit, the app returns back to the system generated detail view with the last record waiting to be synced.

2) once the record appears to be synced it goes into another (i presume system sync).

3) after the 2 syncs complete, the last entry in the related records disappears. (from there most users think they loast the data and re-enter is all again, but for testing i continued to try and force it to re-sync as i can see the data in the back end is still there)

4) forced re-sync.

5) Last entry still not visible.

6) forced re-sync

7) last entry re-appears.

Robert_Tooze_8-1712217540250.pngRobert_Tooze_9-1712217713569.png

Current Sync settings:

Robert_Tooze_10-1712218427475.png

0 4 162
4 REPLIES 4

First go to that form view in UX and set which View you want to see once you saved the form. Go to that Form View in UX and go to Behaviour  and you can find this option to set up the view .So once you save the form you can directly see the data in a detail view.

To avoid the same row added again and again you can set any one column or more than one column as a unique keys. So the user will not be able to add the same record again. 

Thanks but i think the views are all working fine in terms of moving from 'Form' back to 'Detail' UX (pic below shows settings) and it initially goes back fine with the new data visible (before the delayed cloud sync executes)...but once the cloud sync is all done the last entry is removed on the display refresh (though the related # record count still shows the correct number). The duplication happens because the users thinks the data is lost and adds another row entry, but then after a few minutes of adding a new entry and syncing the missing entry comes back. This app has been working fine for years with no issues and I haven't modified anything in the back end recently. I felt it might be more to do with my sync settings or the delays in getting into our company SharePoint but I would have thought it should be using the data on the mobile device as its display source??

Robert_Tooze_0-1712269751900.png

The exact same thing is also happening at another form-detail workflow (see pics below).

1) after the form save it returns back to the detail UX fine showing new shift log entry

2) after cloud sync complete and screen auto refreshes, the new shift log is visibly removed

3) forced resync

4) Refreshed re-sync shows the shift log back again.

A quick check of the performance analyser shows no errors during the sync. I also get the same experience on the developer desktop platform - never seen this before.

Robert_Tooze_2-1712270877838.png

Robert_Tooze_1-1712270247216.png

Robert_Tooze_3-1712271825187.png

Do you have any status columns or security filters that might be filtering out data unintentionally? For example if your core table brings in all records, but you have a slice that only looks at the most recent records, or records with status "New"? You may not have changed anything, but if AppSheet did you might be getting different results. 

Do you experience the same problem when you toggle Server Caching off?

Less ideal alternative, you could implement a force sync on form save that hopefully skips the intermediate loss of the entered data. Clunky, but maybe a temporary fix until the issue is identified and resolved.

I do use security filters and status columns. When I turn server cache off / on - makes no difference.

In tyring to work out if status or filters are playing a role I tried a simple test of actually deleting the record via the App UX. This did exactly the same thing. The row is deleted via the App, the App display is refreshed (pic 1) showing record deleted (before [#] sync). The underlying excel spreadsheet is updated accordingly during the first sync (row is deleted). Then after the immediate sync (pic 2) that happens with no "[#]" sync, the record actually repaints back on the app (pic 3)! The underlying spreadsheet is not changed and has no record to send back to the App. This is driving me batty! The related records show "0" which is correct, yet the record deleted pops back in the UX - surely this is not normal and I couldn't break the app this way?? I have been running this app for 5 years and never seen it do this before. I do multiple force sync's (pic 4 and 6) and eventually after ~3 minutes (say 3-4 syncs) it displays correct in the App UX (pic 7). I have found its a time dependant bug that resolves after ~3 minute (needs a force sync to refresh the screen though) and happens on multiple devices and OS. Any ideas where to look next?

Robert_Tooze_0-1712627239329.png

Top Labels in this Space