Appsheet save to unique user file

I am developing an appsheet that allows our employees to create a business specific CV, edit it and delete. The appsheet has automated bot which creates a PDF of the CV and sends it to me. But I also want it to do the following.... I have an Employees folder in the appsheets google drive. Inside the employees folder, I want individual folders of each employee. 

The problem I am facing is: 

John enters his CV. When John clicks save, the pdf of his entry must save into the folder Employees --> John. So that I can find Johns entries quickly instead of sifting through 100's of employees CV's all at random. Another great option would be that the PDF created gets replaced with the most recent version. So there should only be one pdf in Johns folder. Ie) if he entered a CV, 4 months later he wants to edit it, the new version must replace the old version. 

I know it is a lot. Would be greatly apprepciated if I could find some help

Solved Solved
0 5 220
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@HBDev wrote:

the pdf of his entry must save into the folder Employees --> John

In the Bot used to generate the PDF there is File Folder property, you would set it to the path you want the files to go into - and yes you can use variables!  So you could do something like this

"Employees/" & [Employee Name] 

Note:  the path is relative meaning that it will be created within the folder where the sheet is placed (if you are using a sheet).  Otherwise, it uses the App default path as the root.

@HBDev wrote:

Another great option would be that the PDF created gets replaced with the most recent version

If the file name is the same, I think this is the default behavior, HOWEVER, Google tries to keep file versions, I think, and with the files being cached, it can create confusion when the updated version takes a while to show up.

So, I recommend, creating a process to delete the older files.  You can easily do this if you import the files as a table source into AppSheet. See this article for details. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@HBDev wrote:

the pdf of his entry must save into the folder Employees --> John

In the Bot used to generate the PDF there is File Folder property, you would set it to the path you want the files to go into - and yes you can use variables!  So you could do something like this

"Employees/" & [Employee Name] 

Note:  the path is relative meaning that it will be created within the folder where the sheet is placed (if you are using a sheet).  Otherwise, it uses the App default path as the root.

@HBDev wrote:

Another great option would be that the PDF created gets replaced with the most recent version

If the file name is the same, I think this is the default behavior, HOWEVER, Google tries to keep file versions, I think, and with the files being cached, it can create confusion when the updated version takes a while to show up.

So, I recommend, creating a process to delete the older files.  You can easily do this if you import the files as a table source into AppSheet. See this article for details. 

Thank you for this help. I am struggling with the saving of the PDF. to the file though. I did what you suggested but it still isn't saving 

HBDev_0-1686605543405.png

Schaue das Video, dort wird alles detailliert erklรคrt: Erzeuge BOT mit PDF-Berichten 

@HBDev wrote:

I did what you suggested but it still isn't saving 

Are you getting errors?

No, it is all being saved in the app database and in the sheets. I also get an email of the PDF but it is not saving to the driver

Top Labels in this Space