Bug?: Input() function action shows all tabs of a tabbed form

Is this a bug or am I missing an obvious setting?

When I use actions of INPUT() function to set just one or two fields in a tabbed form, the pop up form for the input fields with that INPUT() function action takes the user to all the tabs of the form

As the images below show , the pop up form takes the user through all tabs just for one field.

Suvrutt_Gurjar_2-1649671690278.png

Suvrutt_Gurjar_0-1649671500126.pngSuvrutt_Gurjar_1-1649671559491.png

Bug or am I missing an obvious setting?

Solved Solved
1 14 402
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

@Suvrutt_Gurjar @WillowMobileSys You can use CONTEXT("ViewType")="Form" or CONTEXT("ViewType")<>"Detail in the Show if. With that the Page Header will not show up in the INPUT form at all. I use this since some months.
That's because CONTEXT("ViewType") of an INPUT form is always the view from where you open the INPUT form.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Obviously, a bug.

I would guess that your main form is a tabbed version?

I haven't played with Input() much as I have always had trouble getting it to work.  Your post confirms what I have suspected...AppSheet is using a trimmed down version of the main form.

I think you can workaround this issue by using the Show_If expression within the 2nd+ SHOW columns themselves to hide them.   By hiding the SHOW columns, the tabs themselves are "disabled" and the Save button will move to the first tab.

I would start with CONTEXT() in the Show_If expressions but I am not certain of what name or type the Input() form actually takes on.

Thank you for your suggestions @WillowMobileSys . Yes , you are correct, the issue happens with the tabbed forms as I mentioned in the post title.

Your are also correct that the pop up form seems to be a miniature version of main tabbed form. The only difference is pop up form retains only the fields used in INPUT() action but also retains all the tabs of the original form. 

My actual form in production app has 6 tabs. The pop up form shows all the 6 tabs with just two fields of the INPUT() function repeating in each tab.

The problem is we do not know ( at least for now) where to apply the CONTEXT() functions  as the pop up form does not seem to have its own "View" name. 

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Escalated.

Thank you Steve. 

Any news about this?

Nope.

@Suvrutt_Gurjar @WillowMobileSys You can use CONTEXT("ViewType")="Form" or CONTEXT("ViewType")<>"Detail in the Show if. With that the Page Header will not show up in the INPUT form at all. I use this since some months.
That's because CONTEXT("ViewType") of an INPUT form is always the view from where you open the INPUT form.

Thank you @Fabian_Weller  very much for this simple workaround. I will test this and use in a production app where I needed this input form in a tabbed view.

Edit: I tested it out and it works. Thank you @Fabian_Weller

This is not a viable solution if the Input() is being called from a Detail View where the Page Headers SHOULD be visible.  Doing Context("ViewType")="Form" will also hide those headers in the Detail view where the button is triggered, such as the highlighted below.

JPAlpano_1-1660700787541.png

I really think we need a new Context("ViewType")="Popup"

What if you use a column to save which "state" of the UI you want to use and change it's value using an grouped action that also opens de Input()?

At this point even a quick-edit like setup similar to the ones used by @MultiTech where he has an action that changes a [Form-Type] column or similar and there are Show_If and Editable_If + quick edit configured that listen to [Form-Type] and completely remove the INPUT() pop-up

Hi @SkrOYC ,
I'm very much interested in this [Form-Type] setup.
@MultiTech , would you care to share the post or video?

I don't have anything dedicated to that column in a video or post, though I'm sure there's a dozen or so things out there where I'm USING that column. (^_^) 

But nothing dedicated to explaining morphing forms... yet
  - One of the videos in the pipeline right now is "Common AppSheet Form Setups"
      - In there, I've got a section devoted to how to do these dynamic forms

Generally the idea is as follows

1. You add the [Form_Type] column to your table
  2. You then establish a set of "keywords" that you'll use for each version of the form you need
  3. In each column, you then create a SHOW IF formula that's looking at the [Form_Type] for it's specific keywords (or whatever logic you come up with)
  4. You need to implement an action system to manage these keywords, setting the values into [Form_Type] and clearing them

With all this in place, you can bring about the following pretty smooth:

• When the record is created, only show certain columns
  • When they come back to "edit" the record, but before the "thing" is closed - show a different set of columns
  • When they come back to "close" the record, show different columns
  • When they view the record after the fact, show everything

All managed by dropping a keyword into the [Form_Type] column based on the "type" of form you need to see.

Mighty_Morphin_Power_Rangers_Season_1_to_3_logo_TV_Version

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I recently updated the Standard Starting Template on AppSheetInsider.com to include a bunch of guides on how to use the template columns
   - One of them is centered around how to use "Temporary Variables"

@SkrOYC wrote:

setup similar to the ones used by @MultiTech

My memory was not so lost ๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐Ÿ˜

Awesome!  Will await the notif bell in my Youtube app.  Thanks.

Top Labels in this Space