Calculations in google sheet and not in Appsheet

Hello, dear community. I would like to ask you today something that has been making me think about data synchronization, the speed of applications and the fluidity of working using the Appsheet editor. The truth is that the more Apps grow, it is logical that the editor slows down a bit and takes longer to save.

I've been thinking, I use google sheet as databases and google sheet allows you to store formulas in the fields, which is an advantage from the point of view of calculated virtual columns (in my opinion, and it's obvious that I could be wrong, hence my query). Why do I say this? Well, basically because I think that if you can do the calculations between google sheet tables (at least the largest amount outside of appsheet) it would not load the design in the editor so much. Let's imagine using Appsheeet to view data on our mobiles or computers and fill out forms; But if we don't need to directly see calculations in the forms, wouldn't it be optimal to do these calculations in Google Sheet?

What does the save delay in the Editor depend on?

First I would like to know if anyone has tried what I say, second please tell me if I'm wrong. Thanks in advance.

0 2 89
  • UX
2 REPLIES 2

JSO
Silver 2
Silver 2

In my opinion:
-Calculated virtual columns are NOT stored in the Spreadsheet: they only use the device's memory. With current equipment, the calculation time is short and since it is not sent to the spreadsheet, it does not slow down as much.

-Another topic would be with physical columns. If the system worked well (I don't know, I'm still wondering if the spreadsheet detects the changes and recalculates the cells and at the same time if AppSheet detects the change in a calculated cell and synchronizes the application data), I think the greatest benefit would be obtained from the possible use of the Sheet formulas.

I have tried and there is a delay, between the calculation of Google Sheet and Apsheet. Synchronization is required, that is, changes are not visible while you create a form. They will be viewable once you make the form and then save and sync. But if you don't need to see the change in the form, maybe the calculation can be done outside. That is my reasoning. What would give us the most benefit is that the editor does not slow down. 

Top Labels in this Space