Create New App from View

What would be the best method for creating a new standalone app based on a single view in a current app? both would access the same data, but in my mind, this is the easiest way to create role specific apps. At the same time i could probably do some filtering and only have certain views showing based on user role.

Now that i read this, i think the second option may be better, but i have concerns for long term manageability as the app continues to grow beyond its original scope, as more features are being requested, relating to the same dataset(s).

Who wants to help me think through this? My concern with the user role method is figuring out how to do it first (i assume i need a new table to tie useremail() to roles, then restrict views based on roles), and if/when i get that setup, the next concern would be the ever growing list of automations, format rules, etc, that can get to be difficult to filter through.

Your thoughts?

Solved Solved
0 8 103
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

8 REPLIES 8

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I'm not a fan of multiple apps built on the same data sources. Managing changes to the data structure can be a nightmare.

I can definitely see that being an issue ๐Ÿค”

I suppose i need to get cracking on the roles option. So my thought is a new table that contains useremail() in text, their real name (can come in handy for reporting from a visual standpoint) and a role assigned to each user. Filter views to show if the user's role is in  list of roles, something to that effect. i think i can figure that part out.

Understand that it is technically possible for any app user to access any app data, even if the data is hidden by slices, view configurations, and column Show? settings. To truly secure the data, you need to use security filters to prevent sensitive data from being sent to the user's device.

Limit users to their own data - AppSheet Help

in this case, its not that there is information that others should not see, its that the physicians are asking for more and more things to be baked int and the app is getting cluttered for non-physician roles, like registration. So i essentially just want to make it easier for people to see what is relevant to their job and not even have to fool with views that don't concern them. Hmmm....can view tabs be displayed in a different order based on filters of some sort?

this app started off as a convenient way for the doctors to perform their rounds without having to carry around printed pages that are outdated by the time they get to the hospitals. we are seeing some significant gains due to closer to real time transmission of data. This app allows an at-home team to update the rounding part of the app based on information the registration team can see in the EMR, so they can make sure the app is staying up to date with the current list of patients the doctors need to be seeing. We've also built in some Google Chat capabilities (thanks to a lot of help from the fine folks on this forum as i find my way through this) to trigger automated messages to certain chat groups and pass along pertinent information as things happen in the app.

it's been really exciting to see it come alive but at the same time, we've created a monster and i need to figure out how to temper expectations and get the feature requests to tone down for a bit...

but i digress.

I need a little help thinking about what expression to use. What i have done is created a separate app for nothing more than user and role management. I have a table for a very limited set of information:

Screenshot 2022-05-26 16.09.55.png

This table is set up as READONLY in the previously mentioned app. 

With this information, how do I go about filtering to do something like, in plain english

if the current user   USEREMAIL().Role contains a certain value (my options are admin, provider, tcm,ccm, and registration) , then show this view or something like that...

this is quite helpful, thank you!

Thanks again! Had to read the article a few times due to dyslexia, but after it finally clicked, it worked as expected.

Top Labels in this Space