Drive download URLs for embeddable content to be updated by May 1st, 2024

Regarding the changes to how Drive images are embedded, The solution that Google provided (ihttps://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/14453216?visit_id=638487779426514406-4049761193&p=update-...) says to use "File Name Values" instead of a URL. But this seems to only work when the image is in an "Image" type column. I can't seem to find a way to deal with images that are part of the following scenarios. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

1) What do you do in the case of a "Show" column with an "Image" type? With an "Image" column you have a field for "Image/File folder path" where you can insert the file name. For a "Show" column with an "Image" type the image information needs to go into the "Content" field. From my testing, it seems that you can't reference image file names in the "Content" field, only a URL seems to work.

2) Similar problem when you have an "Image" column and want to have a default image that can be replaced by the user. In this case, I have been using the "Initial value" field with an expression that uses a default image if the cell is blank (i.e. nothing provided from the user in the form) or the user provided image if they did provide one. This scenario also only seems to work with a URL, not with file names.

Solved Solved
0 4 112
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

File name approach should work. What have you tried exactly?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I believe you'd still be able to use SVG code in such cases, since it gets compiled by the browser's engine and has nothing to do with Drive. 

Thank you for the suggestion. I've never used SVG code before, but that is an interesting option. I'm going to look into it further.

File name approach should work. What have you tried exactly?

I got it working. I was originally putting the file name directly into an expression in the editor. I'm now storing the file name in a Table and then using a lookup formula in the expression. That seems to work.
I'm not sure if that is what I was supposed to do and I just misunderstood, or if I can use the file name directly in an expression but I'm still doing something wrong. Regardless, I think I have a working solution now. Thank you.

Top Labels in this Space