Field of type address behaves differently

I have a field of type Address:

Scott_Nesbitt_0-1707238966731.png

In one view / slice it show the text of the address:

Scott_Nesbitt_1-1707239069138.png

But in the other it shows a map pin:

Scott_Nesbitt_2-1707239314628.png

Can anyone explain why?  Is this a bug?  If not, how can I make things consistent?

Thanks

Solved Solved
0 2 49
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

When an address type column is included in a table, there will automatically be created a "View Map" action.  See Below. This is an Inline action by default. 

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 1.58.56 PM.png

The View Map inline action will follow standard display rules in views based on the main table

In a View based on a Slice,  it will depend on how you have actions configured for that slice.  If you have set "auto assign, then all actions should behave just as in views based on the main table

HOWEVER,  if you limit which actions are to be used in the Slice by adding them to the Actions list in the Slice, then only those actions will ever be shown in the Slice based views.  If you wish additional actions to display as well, simply add them to the Slice display list.

@Scott_Nesbitt wrote:

how can I make things consistent?

This depends on what you want.   Do you want the Text or the action to display?   If only the text, then disable the associated "View Map" action.  If you want the action icon to show, then add the "View Map" action to your Slice action list.

NOW, if you want BOTH to show, then you will need to add a Text column and assign it the [Address] column.  Then add this column NEXT TO your original Address column.  Add the "View Map" action to the Slice action list.  Add the new Text column to your views.  You will now see the text address AND also have a map icon to navigate to the Map view showeing the location of that address.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

When an address type column is included in a table, there will automatically be created a "View Map" action.  See Below. This is an Inline action by default. 

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 1.58.56 PM.png

The View Map inline action will follow standard display rules in views based on the main table

In a View based on a Slice,  it will depend on how you have actions configured for that slice.  If you have set "auto assign, then all actions should behave just as in views based on the main table

HOWEVER,  if you limit which actions are to be used in the Slice by adding them to the Actions list in the Slice, then only those actions will ever be shown in the Slice based views.  If you wish additional actions to display as well, simply add them to the Slice display list.

@Scott_Nesbitt wrote:

how can I make things consistent?

This depends on what you want.   Do you want the Text or the action to display?   If only the text, then disable the associated "View Map" action.  If you want the action icon to show, then add the "View Map" action to your Slice action list.

NOW, if you want BOTH to show, then you will need to add a Text column and assign it the [Address] column.  Then add this column NEXT TO your original Address column.  Add the "View Map" action to the Slice action list.  Add the new Text column to your views.  You will now see the text address AND also have a map icon to navigate to the Map view showeing the location of that address.

I hope this helps!

Ah, the slice actions are different in the different areas!  That explains map pin vs text. Thanks for the help, very clearly explained.

Top Labels in this Space