Formatting of Enum Buttons

There is currently no way to format or colour ENUM buttons and Appsheet suggest I  could propose this feature request to our community and see if other users would like to see it as well.  As a start, coloured buttons would be a great addition for clarity! Any support for this request?

0 15 1,109
  • UX
15 REPLIES 15

What you need exactly?

Did you try using format rules? Create a table for the valid values for your enum column and define your enum column to reference that other table column. Define a format rule for each value to apply an icon, font style, text color, etc. Then, each value will display with that formatting where it's available for selection in your enum column. I think this won't let you control the color of the button for each enum value, but it will let you control many other visual aspects.

I was curious and tried this out. Indeed, I don't see a way to control the color of the button per se (e.g., the border, the selection color), but format rules do reliably govern the button labels. Maybe this helps meet your need? Regardless, you may also want to post your suggestion in the Feature Ideas board.

Here's an example.

Enum field in form view where each value is available for selection:

dbaum_0-1652568974123.png

Format rule for one of the values:

dbaum_1-1652569091300.png

Data source for the table that contains the values for the enum column:

dbaum_2-1652569226670.png

Exactly, I still don't understand why some say that Format rules doesn't work. I really don't know what they mean

Thanks dbaum

I can add symbol, and format font e.g as bold but cannot get any colour showing - It shows on dropdown, but not as button view. Any ideas

Thanks for your help, However, I can add an icon or change the font to Bold etc using the above rules, but the Font won't change colour, nor the icon. (Let alone the button, which is not an option )Yet!))

If you're able to apply a single format rule that includes icon, bold, text color, and highlight color but only the icon and bold actually get applied while the colors are not applied, that's indeed confusing.

Confirm that you don't have multiple separate format rules, which may somehow conflict with each other: The rules are processed in order from the first to the last. If two matching rules conflict in their... 

Maybe post a screenshot of your format rule.

Also, I neglected to mention earlier that you can also control colors at the app level. See the information about theme colors in AppSheet help.

You have understood me exactly

Edison1_0-1652622601335.png

And you can probably see why I am confused on this point!

To confirm, this is the only format rule.

I don't have any further insight regarding what might be going on within AppSheet. Your format rule that doesn't work looks analogous to mine that does. Maybe try on a different device or in an Incognito/Private browser instance to confirm your browser isn't applying some cached style. Otherwise, unless others have a different diagnosis, it seems like a bug.

Tried setting up on new data set on incognito without any luck. Also tried setting up whilst set to Buttons, List and dropdown, for what its worth. Opening app on phone shows same as simulator. Any idea where I should go from here?

Again, I don't have any further insight. Others in the community are far more experienced and expert than I, but as far as I can diagnose what you're reporting it seems like an issue for AppSheet Support.

My case is very similar to yours with the difference that some days ago the format rule was working flawlessly changing color for the font on my buttons (and in some other views where they are not in the form of buttons). Then, suddenly, the colors went away from the font (and icons) in buttons and only remain where the column is show as label. Strange behaviour and I think it's related to some changes in the platform. Maybe with the new "edit toggle" in emulator?

Additional info on my last post. Enum buttons are NOT formatted in mobile apps (nor phone, nor tablet) BUT correctly formatted in Desktop App! This makes me think that some changes in the background of the platform currently broke this "functionality" but only for mobile apps... strange...

Could you fix it? I am facing a similar problem .

Top Labels in this Space