Input() saving a value to some rows but not others

Hey all, long time lurker first time poster.

I'm trying to create an action that when pressed opens the Input window to add a note to a line item.

The action is simple enough. It appears on the lines of the inline table as expected, and clicking on it opens the input window. I can type in a value but when I hit save nothing happens. It doesn't say there is an error, it just doesn't respond. The only way to close the window is to hit cancel and that doesn't save the note obviously.

Interestingly enough, on some rows it DOES work as expected. They all live in the same table with similar data, there are no "editable ifs" on the column the action is editing, and the only behaviour condition is if a different column is not blank.

I have also tried making this note column a quick edit column and a standard form field, it edits just fine as expected in all cases, it's only when using INPUT("note", "") to edit the column that it doesn't work, and only on some random rows.

Any ideas?

Solved Solved
0 11 1,208
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@RobertB wrote:

It doesn't say there is an error, it just doesn't respond

In order to save the INPUT() form, you need to make sure that all Valid_If rules are met for all the columns of your current row.

This is because eventhough certain columns might not be considered into your INPUT(), AppSheet works updating the whole row.

If you have a Valid_If that you absolutely need, use CONTEXT() so that it applies only on form views for example.

CONTEXT() - AppSheet Help

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

@RobertB wrote:

It doesn't say there is an error, it just doesn't respond

In order to save the INPUT() form, you need to make sure that all Valid_If rules are met for all the columns of your current row.

This is because eventhough certain columns might not be considered into your INPUT(), AppSheet works updating the whole row.

If you have a Valid_If that you absolutely need, use CONTEXT() so that it applies only on form views for example.

CONTEXT() - AppSheet Help

Nope, that didn't help. I only had two valid ifs, and removing them both still did not fix the issue.

It was not a valid if that was the problem, but in fact a required if that I had totally missed! 😓 Feels a bit silly when I miss something so obvious. Thanks!

I have also found the Input modal unreliable.

An additional troubleshooting idea is to confirm that your expression conforms to the following requirement spelled out in the INPUT help article (e.g., if "note" is a column name, try "note_input" for the input-name argument in the function:

• input-name - Any input name (Text) that is unique within the context where it is used.

No luck 😞

Might just be INPUT() is unreliable, like you said. In every other app I've built for clients I've never had an issue, especially not this one. Weird that the column is editable just fine, just not with this function, and only in certain rows, and only in this app.

Consider checking whether the function still works as expected in previous apps. Perhaps some issue was recently introduced.

And, don't forget that officially AppSheet considers INPUT a beta feature.

Seems to be working fine in other apps.

I have just found another app I had made previously has the same issue, when it was working fine previously. So it looks like it might in fact be a new bug

Edit: Ah No, my mistake, it was in fact a required if scenario that I just completely missed! 😓

BTW, I just use INPUT() as pop-ups and I ALWAYS do this when I want to call it:

INPUT("", "")

I'm posting for the first time, too.
I also had exactly the same problem, and I saw your post while searching the community to solve this.
In my case, I copied the version of the app that the INPUT("출하구분","") worked normally, so I compared where there was a problem one by one.  (Of course, I spent some time doing this. 😑)
As a result, I found that there was a problem with the newly added column checked with 'REQUIRE?'
The problem was solved by unchecking "REQUIRE?" as a problem issued because there was a corresponding column in "Behavior-Only if this condition is true" of some actions.
I don't know if it's the same case for you, but I don't think it's a problem due to the beta version of INPUT.

That might be what I have to do too if I'm going to find where the issue is. My column is not marked required so I don't think that's the issue.

Top Labels in this Space