Insert column without losing manual settings of the rest of the sheet

I have a main sheet where the main project data is recorded that has 325 columns!!! with different manuals configurations ( Type, show_if, etc.). Well,  now I need to insert one (or several) columns at the beginning of the sheet due to needs that arise in the project, and when I click Regenerate Scheme, most of the columns lose the manual settings (Type, Show_if, initial value, etc. ), with which I lose many hours of work.

Due to the type of project development, it is inevitable to add columns sometimes according to the needs of another department.

Is there a way to insert a column without this happening?

Thanks

0 3 87
3 REPLIES 3

Hello, good day. This is an issue with AppSheet because when you change the names, the configurations also change. However, I have been researching, and I have even written a book about it that is available on Apple Books, a standard guide for working with AppSheet.

But initially, your problem is that you input all configurations in the show If properties. Every time you regenerate, your configurations disappear, and the more columns you have, the more overwhelming it becomes, especially if you have to wait too long between saves, particularly if those configurations affect the app's performance. I suggest you try reading the book I wrote to improve productivity in your app. However, for now, I suggest you create a virtual column with the column property configuration, and then in the show If of each column, only put the name of the virtual column. When you regenerate, the virtual column won't disappear (perhaps only the content of the show If if you change its name), but it will be easier to input the configuration since you have it in the virtual column.

Then, with each show If, simply point to the virtual column you created earlier, and so on in a chain.

I recommend reading the standard again because it will benefit you greatly.

Spanish: https://books.apple.com/us/book/appsheet-protocolo-est%C3%A1ndar-de-nomenclatura/id6479531152 

English: https://books.apple.com/us/book/appsheet-standard-nomenclature-protocol/id6480063548 

Could you go into a little more information about what's happening to cause the problem?

• Generally speaking, you should be able to add/remove/rearrange your columns as you wish without losing the settings.

Also, you might find the following helpful (and it's free ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

@MultiTech wrote:

Also, you might find the following helpful (and it's free :winking_face: )

You are the master! @MultiTech what a great doc. 

Top Labels in this Space