New Recovery-File Structure?

It appears that the structure of Recovery files generated when a sync gets “stuck” has been altered significantly…

Previously recovery files were JSON format expressions of Sync data that contained some helpful information like: All Column Names, Table Name, Operation Type, TimeStamps, etc.

{
        "tableName": "VenueSpace",
        "row": {
            "_RowNumber": "1168",
            "ID": "ABC123fg",
            "CompanyID": "UPINP6B",
            "VenueSpaceTypeID": "3F0D300",
            "Designation": "Meeting Room",
            "RoomName": "Room 302",
            "RoomName4": "Room 304",
            "VenueMapLocation": "",
            "FloorLevel": "3",
            "UnitOfMeasurement": "Feet",
            "DimensionLength": "38.67'"

},
        "mechanism": "Form",
        "viewName": "Venue Space Form",
        "type": "UpdateTableRow",
        "actionType": "UpdateTableRow",
        "failureCount": 0,
        "requestId": 90145221,
        "timestamp": "2020-03-27T01:26:00.54Z",
        "timeStamp": "2020-03-27T01:26:00.54Z"
    },

Now, the output appears to have been greatly reduced in both detail and helpful key data.

["1168","ABC123fg","UPINP6B","3F0D300","Meeting Room","Room 302","Room 304","","3","Feet","38.67'"]

This format is easier to move back into the database, but is missing important information for being able to re-integrate it.

Can you help me understand how we (app creators) are supposed to know what table this row belongs to, or what columns are missing from the data?? (as some invariably are when there is a Sync failure)

@Jonathon @MultiTech_Visions @Grant_Stead @tsuji_koichi @Aleksi @LeventK

4 20 727
20 REPLIES 20

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Escalated internally to encourage a reply.

Much appreciated, @Steve

Any word on this?? I would consider this a “breaking change” and should be given a little more attention.

I’ve heard nothing.

Attn @Arthur_Rallu

Definitely following this.

@Stefan_Quartemont , when did you first notice the change, 2 days ago? I’ve dealt with plenty of recoveries, but none recently.

@Jonathon can you comment on this?

@praveen The issue was brought o my attention by Jonathon by virtue of the Data Recovery Tool in “AppSheet Toolbox”. Jon was running recovery files through it and it was breaking. He notified me of this issue and sent me the files in question.

I have some recovery files from May 6th which are in the old format, and the new format recovery files I received were from May 30th… So I can narrow it down to between May 6th → May 30th?

Not sure if this matters for recovery files, but the account ID is 1952251

Trying to figure out what changed here and when/why

Hi folks, I am trying to reproduce this issue and cannot.

Are you still seeing this behavior? I have checked within the team and there was no such intentional change. And when I try it on my own apps (at least from a browser and from an Android phone), I do not see this behavior. My recovery files are in the same old format…

I had to deal with a recovery a couple weeks ago, after this thread had originally been posted, and the files seemed to be as they always were.

Hey Praveen, @Jonathon and I have taken a look at it and appears that the recovery files are no longer coming across in the minimized format.

Perhaps the bug has gone and died by itself. Thank you for looking into it.

or is hibernating to become more powerful

Gotta love when bugs die of natural causes…

Hopefully

Thank you @Marc_Dillon

Good to know recovery files recovered. Wish a few more bugs took care of themselves the same way.

I also had the reduced files in about 60 recovery files today.

One other note on this. With the reduced file structure, Show If columns mess up the mapping of the subsequent columns if they aren’t showing in the record.

@Stefan_Quartemont @praveen

I think the different recovery file format is from using recovery mode found in the app editor.

BTW, I had this problem around a month ago.
At first though that the Recovery Tool option of the extension just didn’t work and added all the records by hand. (around 40, also with another problem related to images that I saw here in the community).
Then I had the need again (I know, I shouldn’t be changing the database that much, it’s on its final form now, kinda) and Recovery Tool worked. I found that the JSON was different.
I have no idea where is the problem. Maybe the data can be recovered on a different step of the whole process and that changes the info that’s inside the JSON files?

Top Labels in this Space