Search and Filter limitations

We can enable "searchable" to use search and filter for that column.
But there are still some limitations.
Let's say we have 2 tables: Orders (Parent) and Products (Children). They are referenced in 2 ways: via Ref and via Enum Type Ref.

Orders

ID
(Key)

Order
(Label)
Name

Related Products
(REF_ROWS)
Related Products
(EnumList Type Ref)
Ord00001First orderWilliamPro00001 , Pro00002 Pro00001 , Pro00002

Products

ID
(Key)
Order
(Ref)
Order
(Enum Type Ref)
Product
(Label)
Pro00001Ord00001Ord00001Apple
Pro00002Ord00001Ord00001Banana

Search and Filter

ExampleSearch (Ref)Filter (Ref)Search (Enum Type Ref)Filter (Enum Type Ref)
In Products Table search for the Order's IDOrd00001โœ”๏ธWorkingโœ”๏ธWorking (search box)โœ”๏ธWorkingโœ”๏ธWorking (search box)
In Products Table search for the Order's LabelFirst orderโœ”๏ธWorkingโœ”๏ธWorking (search box and dropdown)โŒNot workingโœ”๏ธWorking (search box and dropdown)
In Products Table search for the Order's NameWilliamโŒNot workingโŒNot workingโŒNot workingโŒNot working

In Orders Table search for Product's IDPro00001โœ”๏ธWorkingโŒNot workingโœ”๏ธWorkingโœ”๏ธWorking (search box)
In Orders Table search for Product's LabelsAppleโŒNot workingโŒNot workingโŒNot workingโœ”๏ธWorking (search box and dropdown)

At the moment the only way I see to workaround the limitations is to add Virtual Columns that calculate the desired searchable values.

7 9 413
9 REPLIES 9

I'd love to help with this.  But I'm struggling to understand what you mean by

• Search (Ref)
  • Filter (Ref)
  • Search (Enum Type Ref)
  • Filter (Enum Type Ref

I can sort of see why

• In Products Table search for the Order's Label
  • In Products Table search for the Order's Name

don't work.  You refering to data in the parent table and AFAIK the search only works on data in the table your searching

Ditto with

• In Orders Table search for Product's ID
  • In Orders Table search for Product's Labels

You're looking for data which is actaully in the daughter table.  

So unless I'm missing something then yes your going to have to have a column in both tables that read the parent/daughter table to put the relevant info in this table.

My hunch as to why some of the searches are partially working is that these are able to read the Display info for a Ref column.

Simon@1minManager.com

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Escalated.

sak
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

I'm surprised this issue hasn't been fixed.

Still hasn't been fixed.

I don't know if this was ever noticed by the AppSheet team?

@lizlynch can you share any insights about it?

@Fabian_Weller - Apologies for the delay. I have reached out to the dev team. Will report back when I get more clarification. Thanks for the ping!

Hi lizlynch, 

Could you please give some information on this issue ? Thank you. 

For now I'm creating VC columns for searching the ENUM TYPE REF. 

Not very ideal, as for table view, I need to also have steps to hide these VC columns... not clean steps.

Please allow search the ENUM TYPE REF, by typing the LABEL

CC @lizlynch 

Top Labels in this Space