Single workflow rule for state change in a column in table OR a column in reffed table. Possible?

Hi,

In my client’s app, there are two tables Acquisition and Construction.

Construction has a virtual column called Prop Row VC which is a ref type column to Acquisition.
Construction has another VC, isPortfolioProp, which dereferences a column in Acquisition and has the formula: [Prop Row VC].[Portfolio Prop]

I need to trigger an email when

1. [% Complete] goes from below 50% to above or equal to 50% AND isPortfolioProp is FALSE
    OR
  2. isPortfolioProp goes from TRUE to FALSE AND [% Complete] is above or equal to 50%

This is the formula I have for UPDATES in Construction table in “If this is true” for the workflow rule:

OR(
AND([_THISROW_BEFORE].[% Complete]< 0.50,[_THISROW_AFTER].[% Complete]>= 0.50, NOT([isPortfolioProp])),
AND([_THISROW_BEFORE].[isPortfolioProp], NOT([_THISROW_AFTER].[isPortfolioProp]), [% Complete]>= 0.50)
)

The rule is triggering only for the first AND and not for the second because the change is happening in the reffed table Acquisition.

Is the only solution to have two workflow rules, one in each table or could it be supported as a single workflow rule?

@Phil, any thoughts?

0 3 514
3 REPLIES 3

Is it possible you have a VC that only updates on SYNC?

I think the issue is related to sequencing and propagation of the value changes in the tables - so not really sure what is going on and how to guarantee both triggers will work.

If I understand correctly, you need to trigger the workflow rule based on a change to either table Acquisition or Construction. You are correct that to accomplish this you must define a separate workflow rule on each table.

There is currently no way to trigger a single workflow rule on an update to two or more tables.

Currently we performs adds, deletes, or updates to one table at a time. When we do this, we check each workflow rule associated with that table. We evaluate the Condition you specify in the workflow rule to determine if the workflow rule should be triggered. We have Before and After values for the updated row. We allow you to use the Before and After values for the updated row in your workflow expressions and templates.

I am not certain how we should evaluate an expression like the one you provided above in a workflow rule that was triggered by an update to either table Acquisition or Construction. Your expression uses the Before and After values for both tables. However, we only have Before and After values for the table that is being update, and not for the other table.

The virtue of having a separate workflow rule for each table, is that the Before and After values are unambiguous. They are only present for the table that is being updated.

Top Labels in this Space