Sync is slow again...... checking the performance logs but it is not telling us the truth.

Generally speaking, the sync speed is ultra slow at this particular moment.  Checking the performance log, but it says "6 secs" while we actually wait for a completion of the sync for 1 mins or more.

Obviously the performance logs is not telling us a truth and the appsheet server still wanky.

5 7 514
7 REPLIES 7

I've been thinking the same. Whatever enhancements were made some time ago to improve sync times seem to have been negated again.

My client kept complaining about slow sync speed, and it wasn't showing correctly in the audit log. During a meeting, it took more than a minute to load, but the performance analyzer showed around 20 seconds. On the Asia server, it took less than 10 seconds (as per performance analyzer). I've already raised a support ticket. Here's the difference in sync timing between REAL vs Performance Analyzer.

Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 11.04.31โ€ฏAM.pngScreenshot 2023-12-23 at 11.08.49โ€ฏAM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 11.13.46โ€ฏAM.pngScreenshot 2023-12-23 at 11.14.24โ€ฏAM.pngScreenshot 2023-12-23 at 11.15.18โ€ฏAM.png

Here is more tests

Hello,

tl;dr thanks for the bug report, yes something happened and we're trying to figure out what. Read on for technical details of why the audit log is misleading you.

The sync duration that shows up in the audit log measures how long the sync takes on the server side. This is usually the right number to benchmark, because it will be relatively consistent across syncs, and we expect the client overhead to stay about the same over time. If you're trying to verify this number with browser tools, you want to measure the `/api/template/{appId}` call and open the timing tab. DOMContentLoaded measures something different. Here's an example sync in one of my apps:

infinitejess_3-1703639834425.png

The "waiting for server response" block should be fairly close to the audit log value. Here's the same request for my app.

infinitejess_2-1703639810311.png

304ms in the audit log, 740ms in the network tab, so ~440ms for all the network infrastructure in between (not my department). All of this is normal so far.

Once we receive the sync response, the client has to turn that data into a form the app can use. This has always added a significant amount of time to the value in the audit log, and it can be highly variable between client machines. For the sync above, the actual end-to-end sync time (between "hey you got a new template?" and "app is ready to go") is 1742ms. You can't currently get this number as an end user, for largely historical reasons.

The spread between server and client sync started to diverge near the end of October, with a much heavier impact on the slowest apps (95%ile sync time). I'm investigating why.

@infinitejess

Thank you for your thorough explanation and for dedicating your time to this matter. Your assistance has been incredibly beneficial. I've been in contact with support since August regarding slower sync especially UK Server, but unfortunately, they've only been sending me generic, pre-written responses without any relevant context.

At least now, I can use your messages to effectively communicate with my clients and address the issues at hand. I've been inundated with messages from various users, and for months, I had no way to respond to them. Your help is greatly appreciated, and I'm eagerly looking forward to resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 5.20.23โ€ฏPM.png
These emails have not been beneficial for either party, including our clients. At the very least, receiving an acknowledgment from the support team could help address the issue, and we could patiently wait for potential solutions. However, these consistently absurd responses over the past few months are quite concerning. I hope this matter is being addressed internally for a more effective resolution.

It seems that we started experiencing issues around the time when this update was rolled out:  AppSheet Sync Performance Improvements - Google Cloud Community  

Thanks for your message. I know that support is frustrating. I'm an engineer with a limited view of the world, and limited power, but your screenshots got me curious what my own tools would say.

Hello!

We believe we've fixed the sync performance regression. We inadvertently turned off compression for the sync endpoint, which made the requests much slower from the client's point of view (especially for large datasets). It's back now.

Top Labels in this Space