Trigger an automation on a specific date if in the future, or immediately if in the past

Hi,

I'm creating an employee database. I would like to have a certain set of actions trigger when an employee leaves the company. I would like to be able to enter an employee's last day as soon as we know it, but with the way it is currently set up (to trigger when the field is updated), the actions will then trigger earlier than I would like them to.

I'm sure there's a way to have the actions trigger either a) on the date that is their last day if entered prior, or b) as soon as we enter the termination date if that date has already passed (in the event the employee gave no notice, or we simply forgot to enter the date beforehand). Can someone please help with what I'm sure is a very simple solution to this?

Thank you!

Solved Solved
0 5 123
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@rphair13 wrote:

a) on the date that is their last day if entered prior, or b) as soon as we enter the termination date if that date has already passed (in the event the employee gave no notice, or we simply forgot to enter the date beforehand).

For A) You could have a daily scheduled bot that runs with a condition [Last Day]= TODAY() . This will ensure that whoever employee has a last day today, the action will fire on her/his record.

For B) you could have a form save action or data change bot such that such that if [Last Day]<TODAY(), the form save event action or data change bot fires.

Please test well.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@rphair13 wrote:

a) on the date that is their last day if entered prior, or b) as soon as we enter the termination date if that date has already passed (in the event the employee gave no notice, or we simply forgot to enter the date beforehand).

For A) You could have a daily scheduled bot that runs with a condition [Last Day]= TODAY() . This will ensure that whoever employee has a last day today, the action will fire on her/his record.

For B) you could have a form save action or data change bot such that such that if [Last Day]<TODAY(), the form save event action or data change bot fires.

Please test well.

Hi Suvrutt,

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, the actions I need done involve "running a data action" which it doesn't appear you can do with a scheduled trigger. This is the error I'm getting: "Run Action steps are not allowed for processes without an input entity."

Please ensure your bot event settings are as follows. Then you should be able to add data action in the step. Of course your time and time zone setting, table name and filter conditions settings will be as per your app's configuration.

Suvrutt_Gurjar_0-1712846579510.png

In the step image below you can see that the bot is set as daily scheduled bot as per above settings. However it is possible to select the option of "Run a data action" in the step.

Suvrutt_Gurjar_1-1712846817257.png

You're right! I had tried to duplicate all the processes and then just change the triggering event, but that didn't work. When I re-created it from scratch, there were no problems. Thanks!

You are welcome. Thank you for the update. Good to know you got it working. Please test well for your required conditions.

Top Labels in this Space