Using Private Tables in conjunction with .csv uploads and api

I have an app that I am planning to use a source table that gets reviewed and dumped every month.  My plan was to use Private Tables for each user so that the data would not cross over.  I planned on using an upload action to bring in a new .csv file each month and call the webhook action to do a mass delete of all of the data in that table.

So far I have not gotten the upload to work into the private table.  It works fine with the table in my app directory, but when my test users upload the data, it says it succeeds, but no data appear in the table.  I check the file in the user's cloud account and the file exists, but is blank.

Is this something that will just not work with Private Tables, or am I experiencing another issue?

Thanks.

0 3 93
3 REPLIES 3

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Wow! I've not heard of this being attempted before. I suspect it's a use case tat wasn't anticipated and isn't handled. If you haven't already done so, I recommend contacting Support.

https://www.appsheet.com/Support/Contact

I am working with Rob to make this work.

CSV Import and CSV Export now work when used with Private tables. CSV Import was failing when used with Private tables, but I released a change on Feb 24, 2022 that fixed that problem.

The REST API does not support Private tables because the REST API always runs under the identity of the app owner. To support Private tables, the REST API would need some way to run under the identity of the Private table owner. We do not currently provide a way to run under  a REST API caller specified identity because we cannot do that securely. As a result of this REST API limitation, Rob cannot use a webhook to invoke the REST API on a monthly basis to mass delete data from Private tables.

The alternative, is to use a Data Change action to perform Private table adds, deletes, or updates. Data Changes run under the identity of the client who is triggering the Data Change action. Rob can use a Data Change action to delete data from his Private tables.

Unfortunately, there is a minor bug in the Data Change action that causes it to always run under the identity of the app owner. I am in the process of fixing that error. I hope to release that change during the week of March 28th 2022. Once that change is released, Rob should be able to use Private tables to achieve what he described above. 

I released the change that makes Data Change actions work for Private tables. Rob confirmed that it is now working for his app.

Top Labels in this Space