Using multiple Inline Views / Reference Views for the same table

Hi everyone,

Iโ€™m new to AppSheet and Iโ€™m building a custom inspection app.
I have already set up the data and created all the references between tables and the app as suggested by AppSheet works beautifully. I am amazed by what AppSheet can do out of the box.

At the moment Iโ€™m struggling with a UX problem with โ€œRelatedโ€ tables. I set up a couple of tables that reference one another, e.g. the Table โ€œTeam Roleโ€ references both an โ€œInspectionโ€ (e.g. inspection โ€œ04/08/21 Building 1โ€) and a Person (e.g. โ€œjane@example.comโ€).

In the same way the table โ€œTasksโ€ references โ€œPeopleโ€ and โ€œInspectionsโ€ and gets displayed both in the Views for โ€œPeopleโ€ and โ€œInspectionsโ€ as an inline table called โ€œRelated Tasksโ€. This automated inline view is exactly what I need.

My problem is that AppSheet generates an automatic Inline View using all columns of โ€œTasksโ€ which is pretty long and tedious to scroll through. This โ€œTask_Inlineโ€ View is a Reference View (Reference Views | AppSheet Help Center) that I can edit.

I would like to use a different inline view for Tasks in the views for Inspections and People. E.g. in the view โ€œPeopleโ€ I would like the task inline view to be a table with the columns โ€œSummaryโ€, โ€œInspectionโ€ and โ€œStatusโ€ and in the โ€œInspectionsโ€ view I would like it to be a table with the columns โ€œSummaryโ€, โ€œAssigneeโ€ and โ€œStatusโ€.

When the user is accessing the โ€œInspectionโ€ view the reference to the โ€œInspectionโ€ itself is listed as the first column of the Tasks table, which is unnecessary in this context and the user needs to scroll a lot to find the columns that are actually relevant.

Is there a way to use multiple reference views for the same table?

Best
Melanie

Solved Solved
2 4 1,722
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Please try below.
You could create two slices on the โ€œTasksโ€ table, called say โ€œTasks Peopleโ€ and โ€œTasks Inspectionsโ€. You could assign the desired columns in respective views in the respective slices.

In the โ€œPeople Tableโ€ , please have the reverse reference column expression something like

REF_ROWS(โ€œTasks Peopleโ€, โ€œTasks Table Keyโ€)

In the โ€œInspections Tableโ€ , please have the reverse reference column expression something like

REF_ROWS(โ€œTasks Inspectionsโ€, โ€œTasks Table Keyโ€)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hey Melanie,

AppSheet Training has a video on a vehicle inspection build on their YouTube channel that might be of some help.

I have linked below to that video and started it at the 24:10 mark because thatโ€™s when Justin talks about inline views so maybe that will be able to point you in the right direction for what you are looking for.

Link: Field Inspection App - AppSheet Tutorial for Beginners - YouTube

Hope this helps,
Cale

Hi Cale!

Thanks for the fast reply! The tip with the column order was very helpful.
I can limit the number of columns in the inline view now. However, I am still struggling to find a way to use two different Inline Views in one app.
I want to use one inline view of โ€œTasksโ€ in โ€œPeopleโ€ and another inline view of โ€œTasksโ€ in โ€œInspectionsโ€ is that at all possible?
If it isnโ€™t possible, I will just limit the columns in the inline view to columns that are the most useful.

PS: @QREW_Cale The link in your profile is broken: http://qrewtech.com/welcome

Please try below.
You could create two slices on the โ€œTasksโ€ table, called say โ€œTasks Peopleโ€ and โ€œTasks Inspectionsโ€. You could assign the desired columns in respective views in the respective slices.

In the โ€œPeople Tableโ€ , please have the reverse reference column expression something like

REF_ROWS(โ€œTasks Peopleโ€, โ€œTasks Table Keyโ€)

In the โ€œInspections Tableโ€ , please have the reverse reference column expression something like

REF_ROWS(โ€œTasks Inspectionsโ€, โ€œTasks Table Keyโ€)

Interesting idea. I need to get used to using slices for everything I guess. 

That should do the trick! I think I'll limit the number of columns now and try your suggestion if the client wants specific columns, 

Thanks!

Top Labels in this Space