View Reference Rows from Multiple Rows in the Parent Table

Hello!

I have a Case table (parent) and a Case Work table (child).  I am trying to generate a single table view of Case Work that displays the rows from multiple selected Cases.

The intended workflow is that users would identify Cases using the built-in search, then (through an action?) would view a table showing all the Case Work associated with these cases.  This would then be downloaded as a CSV (or pushed to a new sheet through an apps script) to generate reports.

I want something like, 

LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW("Case Work", ([Case Number] = [_THISROW].[Case Number]))

except [_THISROW] should be the set of Case rows currently viewed.  

I'm not sure how to access the list of rows that are being viewed by the user. I've also  tried approaching this with a bulk action, but no luck so far.

Thanks in advance, the help on this forum is incredible!

Solved Solved
0 5 208
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Elena,

One way is to use a dashboard with:

1. a detail view on a single-row table with Quick Edit, this will be your homemade search bar. 
  2. a slice view with a row filter condition depending on the value entered on the homemade search bar. 

You can even have multiple search bars to refine the slice contents based on additional criteria.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Welcome to the community!

First, you could just use the same search directly in the Case Work table, or even in a dashboard view containing both tables. Does not that answer your need?

Hi Joseph, 

Thanks for the response!

Searching Case Work directly doesn't work because the primary search parameters are associated with the Case.  I suppose I could replicate these all to the Case Work table, but this kind of defeats the purpose of having a separate table...? 

Dashboard is close, but since the search terms aren't in Case Work, the Case Work panel won't show the related data, unless Interactive Mode is on, and then I can only see one Case row at a time.  I basically want Interactive Mode but for multiple selected cases.

Maybe there is a better way to organize the data to enable what I'm after? 

Hi Elena,

One way is to use a dashboard with:

1. a detail view on a single-row table with Quick Edit, this will be your homemade search bar. 
  2. a slice view with a row filter condition depending on the value entered on the homemade search bar. 

You can even have multiple search bars to refine the slice contents based on additional criteria.

Hi Joseph, 

This still doesn't provide exactly what I want, but it's pretty close and will get the job done in most cases, thanks for your suggestion.

I'm just surprised that appsheet doesn't have a function (that I'm aware of) to return the keys of actively selected or viewed rows.

Best,

Elena

Yes, interactive mode is based on a click, not on the search bar results. You have to click on a record in any view in the dashboard for the other views to update. 

Another way is to add additional searchable columns with formulas calculating relevant information, so that the corresponding records could show in the search results. 

Top Labels in this Space