Cannot migrate project from "No organization" to an organization (console)

I have a project in my personal account that I'm trying to migrate to an organization. I'm the owner for both.

I started by adding my organization email to the project in my personal account, and configured it with Owner, Editor, Project Mover and Project IAM Admin roles. 

When I log into my org account, I see my org structure and "No organization" with the project to be migrated. I am one of the Owners of the org, and so I have that permission, and through groups I have Project Mover. For the project I’m trying to migrate, I’ve further added (explicitly) Project Mover, Project IAM Admin and Editor.

Unless I’m misunderstanding something from the docs, I’ve added all the required permissions, but when I try to migrate, I get this error:

timrohrer_0-1650848038825.png

I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong, and would appreciate help in resolving this. 

Thank you!

1 11 4,736
11 REPLIES 11

You will need to review if your principal account already has the following roles in both source and destination organizations.

• Project IAM Admin (roles/resourcemanager.projectIamAdmin) on the project that you want to move
  • Project Mover (roles/resourcemanager.projectMover) on the project's parent resource
  • If the destination resource is a folder: Project Mover (roles/resourcemanager.projectMover) on the destination resource
  • If the destination resource is an organization: Project Creator (roles/resourcemanager.projectCreator) on the destination resource

These roles give you the following required permissions:

Required permissions

• resourcemanager.projects.getIamPolicy on the project you want to move
  • resourcemanager.projects.update on the project you want to move
  • resourcemanager.projects.move on the project's parent resource
  • If the destination resource is a folder: resourcemanager.projects.move on the destination resource
  • If the destination resource is an organization: resourcemanager.projects.create on the destination resource

You will find a guide that can help you to migrate your project in this link 

Thanks for the reply, but no luck. 

Logged in to my principal account. The source project is visible under "No Organization". Checking the source project roles `roles/resourcemanager.projectIamAdmin` and `roles/resourcemanager.projectMover` are both enabled.

timrohrer_0-1652553535876.png

And...

timrohrer_1-1652553742434.png

For the destination organization, `Project Creator` is a role assigned to my principal account.

timrohrer_2-1652553837182.png

No changes were required to be configured as you've described. 

When I try to migrate the project to the correct organization:

timrohrer_3-1652554013225.png

Then I navigated back to No Organization-->ProjectToMove, and checked the permissions for my principal account. `update` is indeed included under Project Mover.

There are some steps to migrate a project with no organization assigned, but first I would suggest checking your organization policy permission on the destination and source organization. You must have the roles/orgpolicy.policyAdmin role, which grants permission to create and manage organization policies. Once you get the role then you must configure the organization policies. In order to move the project resources to a new organization, you must first apply an organization policy to which the project can be moved as it is suggested in the following link . Also as a best practice, I would  suggest creating a dedicate importer folder in the destination organization .

Once you get configured the permission at organization level, please follow this guide to migrate projects with no organization .

Also, I suggest adding the role: roles/resourcemanager.projectMover  to your principal account  on the project's parent resource. Also, if the destination resource is a folder, add the role on the destination resource. 

Hello, did you find a solution? I have the same issue. Thx

I did not. I worked through the steps countless times, and in the end decided I didn’t want to take the time to figure out the issue. I am fully confident that I understood and performed the documented steps correctly; therefore, I believe the issue lies elsewhere and is outside the scope of my access.

If you end up resolving it, please post your answer here and I’ll try again.

For sure!

I added a comment in this topic to explain my issue https://stackoverflow.com/questions/71762609/i-cannot-migrate-project-from-no-organisation-to-a-newl...

I hope someone can help us

the reason for my problem was that my project was still associated with an organization and I no longer had access to that organization. The error message led me to believe that the project had no organization, which was not the case. Fortunately, I knew people in my former organization who were able to validate that the project was still linked to their organization. They put me back on it and I was able to migrate.

Any luck solving this? I also have the same issue

same here. such a simple operation, but so time consuming and confusing.. 

In my case the project belonged to another organization, I verified that with:
gcloud projects list --format json

The output was as follows:

{
  "createTime": "2023-11-08T01:01:35.791Z",
  "lifecycleState": "ACTIVE",
  "name": "Some name",
  "parent": {
    "id": "123456789012",
    "type": "organization"
  },
  "projectId": "project-staging",
  "projectNumber": "111001132111"
}

If a project has no organization, the output of the command gcloud projects list --format json would likely include an empty parent field or it might not appear at all.

i gave up eventually (seems i'm not alone in that), as a workaround i've created a dataset, copied the tables and moved it to the target project