Generating Client SDKs for the Looker API

Update: This article is now out of date. For the latest info on how to download or generate client SDKs for the Looker API, please see our Looker SDK Codegen repo on Github

The Looker API is a collection of “RESTful” operations that enables you to tap into the power of the Looker data platform in your own applications. The Looker API can be invoked using plain old HTTP(S) requests. Any development tool, language, or application that can make HTTP requests and ingest JSON responses should be able to use the Looker API.

Web geeks who live and breathe HTTP and/or AJAX XHR will feel at home using just the “raw” Looker API HTTP URL endpoints. GET, POST, PUT, PATCH, DELETE, oh my!

Web APIs For The ‘REST’ of Us

If writing HTTP requests is not something you or your developers do every day, accessing a REST API for the first time can be a little intimidating and disorienting. Programming with web requests often requires different idioms and patterns of behavior than traditional app development. What do you do if you’re more interested in the data results than in the journey required to get them?

What non-web devs desire is something that makes the Looker API feel like a set of functions in your language of choice: a client SDK. A client SDK is a set of functions that resides in your application that encapsulates all the HTTP goop so you can just call functions and get results.

The Looker API provides a metadata document which describes all the URL endpoints, their parameter names and types, and their response types. From that metadata you can use Swagger tools to generate client SDK libraries for your programming language.

This allows us to make the Looker data platform accessible via convenient client libraries for a wide variety of programming languages, without having to be experts in all of those languages or having to commit resources to developing and supporting all those languages. It also helps ensure consistency across all manifestations of these client SDKs which would be very difficult to manage if each SDK were hand-written.

Enough back story. Let’s generate a Looker API client SDK!

Prerequisites

1. Login to your Looker instance as an admin to enable and configure the Looker API: https://<your_looker_endpoint>/admin/api. Make note of your Looker API Host url displayed here if you have customized it from the default.

2. Generate API3 credentials by navigating to https://<your_looker_endpoint>/admin/users, editing your user, and clicking “New API3 Key.” You’ll need the API3 clientId and clientSecret values later to authenticate your client application.

3. With your API configured and credentials in hand, navigate to your Looker API documentation: https://<your_looker_endpoint>:19999/api-docs/index.html. (Substitute your custom Looker API Host domain and port if applicable)
    This page is our reference for available Looker API function/endpoints specific to our Looker instance. Since this doc page is generated from the Looker API metadata, this doc page may show beta or experimental API functions that are not yet officially documented elsewhere.

4. Make sure Python 2.7 or 3.0 is installed on your computer. At a command line / shell prompt, run python --version to see what version of Python, if any, is installed.

5. You’ll need a Java runtime distribution installed on your computer. We recommend at least Java 8 (version 1.8.*). Run java -version to verify version installed.

6. Make sure Maven 3.3 or later is installed on your computer. At a command line / shell prompt, run mvn --version to see what version of Maven is installed.

7. You’ll also need to have git client tools installed on your computer. Check version with git --version

Setup

1. Make a directory to house your Looker SDK bits: cd ~/Desktop; mkdir looker_sdk; cd looker_sdk

2. Download your Looker API swagger.json metadata.

3. Login to your Looker instance as admin and navigate to the admin/api panel. (https://<your-looker-endpoint>:9999/admin/api).

4. Set “Documentation Access” to “Allow anyone to see API docs”

5. Click the Save button.

6. Open a new browser window and navigate to this URL: https://<your-looker-endpoint>:19999/api/3.0/swagger.json Subsitute your custom Looker API Host domain name and port if necessary.

7. Save the contents of that swagger.json page to looker_sdk/lookerapi.json.

8. Take a peek inside the saved file to make sure the browser saved it as JSON text, not transmogrified HTML.

9. Return to your Looker instance Admin/API page and set the “Documentation Access” setting back to what it was before and click Save. “Require API login to see API docs” is the default setting and is required if you want to use the “Try it!” button to call API functions directly from the API doc page. (You do want this, it’s cool!)

10. Download the Swagger-Codegen tools from github.
    Note: Swagger-Codegen is in active development. To avoid the headaches of “bleeding edge” development, it’s a good idea to pull from a stable release. At the time of this writing, we recommend using Swagger-Codegen release 2.1.6. (If you’re using Python 3.0 or later, you’ll want Swagger-Codegen release 2.2.2 instead)
    Use these steps to checkout the swagger-codegen tools into your looker_sdk/swagger-codegen directory:

11. cd looker_sdk

12. git clone git@github.com:swagger-api/swagger-codegen.git ./swagger-codegen

13. cd swagger-codegen

14. git checkout tags/v2.1.6

15. Build the Swagger-Codegen tools

16. cd looker_sdk/swagger-codegen

17. mvn package

18. Make yourself a cup of coffee. Fry up some donuts while you’re at it - this will take awhile!

19. When the dust settles, you want to see Build Success near the end of the Maven output. If Maven or one of its subprocesses exits with an error, you need to recheck your machine configuration and recheck that you have all the prerequisites installed and operational.

Generate a Looker API Client SDK

To generate a Looker API client SDK for Python, do this:

1. cd looker_sdk
  2. java -jar ./swagger-codegen/modules/swagger-codegen-cli/target/swagger-codegen-cli.jar generate -i lookerapi.json -l python -o python_sdk

This will generate a Looker API client SDK for Python in the looker_sdk/python_sdk directory

You can use the same command to generate Looker API client SDKs for Java, .NET, and a variety of other languages and platforms supported by the Swagger-Codegen tools. Change the language target with the -l parameter and the output directory with the -o parameter. See https://github.com/swagger-api/swagger-codegen/tree/master/modules/swagger-codegen/src/main/resource... and the Swagger-Codegen documentation for the list of supported languages and platforms.

Versioning

The generated client SDK is a snapshot of the “shape” of the Looker API at a single point in time. As new stuff is added in subsequent releases of the Looker product, your existing client SDK will continue to work just fine, but your client SDK will only be aware of API stuff that existed in the Looker product release that the client SDK was generated from.

If a new Looker API feature turns up in a future Looker product release that you want to use in your app, you will need to download a new lookerapi.json file from the new Looker product instance and use that to regenerate the client SDK files.

Use the Looker API Client SDK (for Python)

Among the files generated by Swagger-Codegen for Python is a subdirectory python_sdk/swagger_client which contains all the Python class definitions we need to make Python function calls to the Looker API.

For quick-and-dirty work, you can just copy the swagger_client directory (and its subdirectories) into a subdirectory of your Python project. Note that we’re changing the directory name to looker as part of the move (so that our Python code can refer to the client SDK module as “looker” instead of as “swagger_client”)
mv looker_sdk/python_sdk/swagger_client ~/mypythonapp/looker
cd ~/mypythonapp

Here’s a quick Python test app to kickstart your Looker API development.
Fill in your Looker API Host name and port, your API3 clientId and clientSecret values:

~/mypythonapp/test_app.py

import looker

# replace with your custom Looker API Host domain and port, if applicable.
base_url = 'https://your.looker.instance:19999/api/3.0/'
client_id = 'your-API3-client-id'
client_secret = 'your-API3-client-secret'

# instantiate Auth API
unauthenticated_client = looker.ApiClient(base_url)
unauthenticated_authApi = looker.ApiAuthApi(unauthenticated_client)

# authenticate client
token = unauthenticated_authApi.login(client_id=client_id, client_secret=client_secret)
client = looker.ApiClient(base_url, 'Authorization', 'token ' + token.access_token)

# instantiate User API client
userApi = looker.UserApi(client)
me = userApi.me();

print me

# instantiate Look API client
lookApi = looker.LookApi(client)

print lookApi.all_looks()

This test app imports the Looker API Python client SDK from the looker subdirectory of the test_app.py file’s home directory. The Python code can then access the Looker API classes via the looker module symbol.

This test app authenticates to the Looker API using the clientId and clientSecret values you generated earlier on the Looker Admin/User panel. It fetches the user info for the current logged-in user using the userApi.me() API call, and fetches a list of all looks accessible to the current user using the lookApi.all_looks() API call.

Audience Participation

The Swagger-Codegen generated Python client SDK code looks like it is intended to be installed as a Python package/module. Not being a Python expert, I haven’t had much success with naive attempts to install the client SDK files as a Python module.

SO… If any of you Python alpha geeks out there would like to chime in with tips on how to install the Python client SDK as a module (and successfully reference it from a Python app) the rest of us Python n00bs would be grateful!

Proceed Carefully

This test app is safe to use because it doesn’t use any Looker APIs that change the state of the Looker instance. Many Looker APIs, however, can change or delete settings, users, models, and more from your Looker instance. Be careful! You can limit what a program can do with the Looker API by using API3 client credentials associated with a limited-rights user account, and only enable roles or permissions on that user account as needed. It’s always a good idea to do development work using a non-production Looker instance.

Disclaimers

Looker provides full support for the use and execution of the HTTP Looker API operations themselves. Officially, Looker cannot provide support for bugs or issues in Swagger generated client SDKs.

If you find something wonky when making a Looker API call through a client SDK, try performing the same Looker API call using the equivalent raw HTTP/JSON request. If the raw HTTP request also behaves oddly, that’s on us. Please contact Looker support to let us know!

Pro Tip:

Use the Looker API doc page to experiment with raw HTTP requests. Auth is taken care of for you!

If the HTTP request behaves correctly but the equivalent client SDK call is broken, that may be a bug in the generated client SDK. Let us know if you find something like this so we can check for workarounds and make sure our JSON metadata is correct. Be aware that the extent of our support for client SDK issues will be limited to recommending that you try a different release of the Swagger-Codegen tools, and suggesting you post a cry for help from fellow Looker devs here in the Looker Discourse community. We can’t help you write your application code or your homework assignments.

7 65 5,760
65 REPLIES 65

Hey @Marc_Wilson,

I hope all is well! I did some research regarding this and found that the open API spec that our swagger file follows can be used by swagger to generate SDKs; however, we currently don’t do anything on our end to make it work for specific languages. In the swagger-codegen repository it is noted that .NET is supported as a client SDK but .NET Core is supported as a server stub. So it’s not necessarily that Looker does not support dotnet core, but rather it appears that swagger codegen does not currently support a client for .NET core. It only supports generating server stubs, which would not work since Looker is the server. Let me know if I can clarify anything about this on my end!

Best,

Leticia

Hey Danny, thanks for the great documentation!

I found the “Generate a Looker API Client SDK” step sort of confusing and took me awhile to get it to work because:

1. There two lines with 1. before it.
  2. it wasn’t clear the the multiple lines for the python command is supposed to be one command
  3. the back slashes are actually not supposed to be part of the command

So I’d suggest replacing it with the following!

Generate a Looker API Client SDK
To generate a Looker API client SDK for Python, do this:

1. cd looker_sdk
  2. java -jar ./swagger-codegen/modules/swagger-codegen-cli/target/swagger-codegen-cli.jar generate -i lookerapi.json -l python -o python_sdk

Hi Dan,

Is there any plan to distribute examples of using the swagger generated api’s in languages such as Java?

Yes! We are investigating requirements and scoping out the work required to deliver pre-built Looker client SDKs for a variety of languages (including Java) and be able to show Looker API example snippets in the same set of languages as well.

There’s a lot of work that has to be done to make that happen, but yes, it is on our radar (not just on the wish list!). I really (really) want to remove this swagger-codegen step from the Looker SDK bootstrap as it is a rather large, frustrating barrier to entry. We can make this easier for you all! 🙂

-Danny

Danny thanks for the response. Examples of Java API’s are the last thing on wish list at the moment as we have a slew of other functionalities we’d like fixed. Glad to know it’s moving forward. Thanks for the reply.

I had the same problem and doing
git clone https://github.com/swagger-api/swagger-codegen.git worked for me.

I posted the swagger-generated python sdk in pip. This now works:

pip install lookerapi

import lookerapi as looker

# replace with your custom Looker API Host domain and port, if applicable.
base_url = 'https://your.looker.instance:19999/api/3.0/'
client_id = 'your-API3-client-id'
client_secret = 'your-API3-client-secret'

# instantiate Auth API
unauthenticated_client = looker.ApiClient(base_url)
unauthenticated_authApi = looker.ApiAuthApi(unauthenticated_client)

# authenticate client
token = unauthenticated_authApi.login(client_id=client_id, client_secret=client_secret)
client = looker.ApiClient(base_url, 'Authorization', 'token ' + token.access_token)

# instantiate User API client
userApi = looker.UserApi(client)
me = userApi.me();

print me

# instantiate Look API client
lookApi = looker.LookApi(client)

print lookApi.all_looks()

RobG

@russ3 - Thank you so much for pushing the SDK to PyPI! Just in case we ever need to do this on our own in the future (for example, if our API version diverges from the one available on PyPI), can you provide the steps you needed to take to go from the Swagger-produced files to something submittable to PyPI (or another local Python repository such as Artifactory) as a complete Python package?

Hi Rob,

I’ll continue updating this in pip. But if you want to see the steps to publish it, it was really just having the swagger output and then the recipe from PyPI itself:
https://packaging.python.org/tutorials/packaging-projects/

Hopefully that points you in the right direction, and please share any feedback on the pip package!

Hello everyone,

I’ve managed to generate a .Net Standard 1.3 compatible SDK with the following command using swagger codegen v2.4.5.

java -jar .\swagger-codegen\modules\swagger-codegen-cli\target\swagger-codegen-cli.jar generate -i lookerapi.json -l csharp -o csharp_sdk_v5.0 --additional-properties targetFramework=v5.0 --additional-properties netCoreProjectFile=true

Technically it should be compatible with dotnet core 1.0, but it seems to work with dotnet core 2.2. I made simple tests with get/run look and run query async and it worked.

The only issue I found so far was with ‘get look’. It returned the message Internal Server Error. Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: {. Path ‘query.vis_config.series_types’, line 1, position 1893.. Debugging the SDK, the return of the API was "series_types": {},, and deserialization was mapping to an entry of Dictionary<string, string>. By changing manually to Dictionary<string, object> seemed to resolve. Most probably a swagger-codegen issue rather than Looker’s.

Have you any of you guys tried to experiment with dotnet core 2.2 ? Thanks!

Has anyone generated a python SDK for API 3.1 yet?

Hi Jerome – Unfortunately not yet (to my knowledge). It is on my to do list in the next couple weeks.

You have an interim solution?

This problem is also found when building for Java.

David, which problem are you referring to? This is a long thread with a bunch of examples of things people have bumped into 😄.

I’m trying to use the swagger code-gen SDK for Looker API version 3.1 built in Java. It’s unable to deserialize [‘vis_config’][‘series_types’]. The SDK expects a string for the value, but series_types is a hashmap.

Replied over here:

Just checked in with our engineers, and it looks like this is related to a bug we’re working on fixing. Basically, the collection is tagged as a string in the API spec that feeds the generator, when really it’s a JSON object that’s being passed as a string. It’s on us to correct that type annotation so that it functions as expected, and we’re working on it. In the meantime, you could try explicitly converting that part of the payload with a different deserializer. I’ll update here when it’s fi…

I know one of our devs was able to successfully generate a Python SDK for 3.1 recently, but it was definitely a struggle.

That’s what we used – my main point was that it still took a fair amount of futzing around to get everything for the 3.1 SDK working correctly, even after starting with the official Looker tool. Nothing deeply technical, at the end of the day, but just chasing around various config issues that needed to be cleaned up, etc.

(Also, to be clear, we were using the code-gen for 3.1 very soon after it was released for any public consumption at all, and clearly labeled as “not-yet-official”. A lot of those the little issues we ran into have hopefully been addressed in the meantime.)

Thanks for releasing the updated python SDK officially.

Do you have a sample that uses environment variables rather than the python.ini. I do not see how to setup the client.

Do I simply do

sdk = client.setup()

I think that would be a question for @jax1. After a quick test it looks like after setting env variables (make sure to name them properly like LOOKERSDK_BASE_URL, for example), you can just run it with no args and it will capture the environment variables.

Will the new SDK only work with python 3.7? I have python 3.6 and receiving the following.

Any suggestions

venv/lib/python3.6/site-packages/looker_sdk/rtl/serialize.py", line 31, in <module>
    from typing import (  # type: ignore
ImportError: cannot import name 'ForwardRef'

Hi Greg,

Yes, the SDK requires python 3.7. We suggest using pyenv if you want to manage multiple python versions on your system. See https://github.com/looker-open-source/sdk-codegen/tree/master/python for more details.

A new API (3.0) is now released, but the swagger file still doesn’t appear to work without heavy modification: https://github.com/looker-open-source/sdk-examples/issues/45

Mirroring @john_kaster’s comment from github:

If you are on Looker 7.2 or later, I highly recommend using the API 4.0 version of the swagger file. API 4.0 was explicitly started to resolve these issues for strongly typed languages like C#, Kotlin, and Swift. I also recommend using the legacy option for the SDK Code generator project, and point the looker.ini to the API 4.0 version.

I haven’t tested the legacy option in a few merges, so feel free to log an issue in sdk-codegen if you have a problem with it and I’ll look into it.

Hi, any chance this could be done for JAVA language?