Column Order when Downloading Data

Hi all.

I’ve created a relatively simple look for a client. It has more than 70 columns: 4 measures, 16 table calculations, and 50-odd dimensions.

The thing is, the columns have to be displayed in a specific order. And that order has the 16 table calculations shown first, and the 4 measures randomly interspersed among the dimensions. This actually works OK so far: I just visualized the data as a table and drag-and-dropped the columns to the right places.

But the whole reason for the bizarro order is that after visually inspecting the data, the client needs to be able to download the data, and the downloaded data needs to be in the exact same format. And when I download the data, instead I get columns in the order they’re shown in the underlying data: dimensions first, followed by table calculations, and measures at the end. And the dimensions aren’t even in the right order, because I had to jump around when I first added them.

Is there a way around this? Maybe something I can do differently? I know Looker is designed with cases like this in mind because the docs on downloading includes sentences like this:

This is often preferred when data is being fed into another tool for processing.

Thank you so much! This is day 2 of using the tool and question #2 in the forum; I really appreciate the Looker community.

Solved Solved
10 13 3,492
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

But the order in which you select and build your measures will be reflected in the export. Unless you need to mix the position of measures & calculations, then in this case we still have the same problem

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Top Labels in this Space