Looker explorer design --> small explorers or large explorers

rsingh

Hello Looker Team

As you know that Looker explorer design is a really important step and it requires a lot of planning upfront. We want to make sure our explorers matches with business expectation, they are easy to understand, easy to navigate, not redundant and avoid too much information. And also once users starts to build the content on top of your explorers, it becomes really hard to change anything in the explorer design later on

I have seen articles where it was advised to create small explorers which answers specific questions.  I agree on this approach in terms of database performance, but for user experience its kind of confusing, since users will eventually see 10,20, 30 little explorers and they will be confused and navigation becomes hard

Another approach i have seen is to create big explorers related to each business activity like (‘inventory’, ‘sales’, ‘marketing’, ‘risk’) and join 10-15 tables one each explorer.  On the user navigation end, its very simplified, a sales users know where to find sales data,  a marketing user knows where to find marketing data. However this approach is really heavy on performance

What do you recommend ? Should we comprise user experience for database performance? or vice versa or is there any better way?

Thank you

Raman

1 2 1,203
2 REPLIES 2
Top Labels in this Space