Strategies for organizing content (Looks/Dashboards) in folders

Hello,

So my organization has built up a bit of content (Looks and Dashboards) and for the most part we’ve been creating folders for Teams and Departments.  I think this works well for reports/dashboards that are primarily used by the given team that a given folder relates to, Customer Service folder for example.

I think a problem arises when you have content that can be used by multiple teams.  Several questions arise of how to go about this:

1. Do we just train people where the ‘cross functional’ reports are located?
  2. Do we create the same content in multiple places?  Seems like this would duplicate maintenance efforts.
  3. Should we revamp how we organize content into folders representing the content subject matter:
    • Overall Company Metrics
    • Sales
    • Operations
    • Client / Product Engagement
    • Jira Tickets
      • Data Feeds
      • Engineering
      • IT Support
      • Projects
    • Client Support

I dont’ have a super strong opinion yet on any direction but I am growing on option 3.  To me it sounds like a way to scale better, especially as different teams might change, new teams arise, teams merge, etc.  One thing that should not change as often are the data entities or product areas such as Company Metrics, Sales, Ops, Tickets.  I admit these sound like teams but I’m thinking of them more as functional areas that will be at my company for a long time no matter what the underlying teams are that execute those functions.

Very open to opinions and would love to hear how others are organizing content at their firms with an emphasis on scaling!!

Thanks!

CK

0 4 1,553
4 REPLIES 4
Top Labels in this Space