creating a combinationtable to explore customer buying behaviour.

Hello.

I have a set of customers, and the products they have bought. I want to do a vizualisation exploring the how many other products are usually bought when a specific product is bought. as well as what the most common product combinations are both in number of products and specific products.

I have a hard time going knowing where to start and would like some help. I have built the whole solution in excel mostly to see if my model was sound, but i’m now having a hard time moving this to an interactive Look.

In the picture above I have three tables.
The raw data is derived from our bigquery table and is the only data I need. customer_Id and if the customer have bought a product or not. the number of bought products is irrelevant for this.

The overview table is essentially a better form (imo) of the raw table where I have each product as its own dimension and a true/false (1=true) value for if the customer have bought the product or not.

I use the overview table to create the final table, which essentially is one large sum-if function. showing in what combinations a product has been bought.

For example:
product b has been bought by two different customers, and both bought it in combination with one other product.
product a has also been bought by two different customers, one who bought one additional product and the other bought two other products.

and so on.

How should I go about doing this in looker? I have a hard time knowing where to start and actually creating the components necessary. I am new to using Looker, so explain this to me as if I was 5 years old.

0 1 348
1 REPLY 1
Top Labels in this Space