Switch between "Column order" / "Columns excluded" for views

I want to propose that an option is added to views that controls how the view grabs columns from its data source. The current and only option right now is to set what columns to include from a data source, and in what order they should be in via. the "Column order" selection. My suggestion is to add an extra button above it saying whether this list contains columns that should be included from the data source (the current default), or whether these are columns that should be excluded, irrespective of ordering, while every other column is included following the same ordering from the data source (that may mean renaming the header as something like "Columns excluded" when the second option is selected).

My reasoning: I've found that it is easiest to maintain/change AppSheet-specific column ordering through slices, and to use views to act as 'filters' for columns that should not be seen by users. However, the only option now is to have to redundantly maintain ordered lists of every column in both the slices and views. This has become a pain point when making edits to larger schemas, which I believe would be considerably eased by my suggestion.

A similar feature has been requested here, with similar reasoning: https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Feature-Ideas/Add-a-button-which-populates-all-columns-in-ed.... However, the process of keeping up with the data source would be automatic as opposed to simply making changes easier to perform manually.

Status Open
0 0 38