How to use Burstable pods on Autopilot GKE?

I don't manage to create burstable (or besteffort) pods on my Autopilot GKE cluster.

When I follow the documentation to create a burstable pod, and copy paste the example, it creates a Guaranteed pod. However I have to remove the spec.nodeSelector and spec.tolerations settings of the example as they are optional, and don't seem to work.

My cluster is a few days old and runs K8S 1.28.5 with the default settings. I think I'm missing something.

Solved Solved
1 3 259
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, it seems your cluster is not meeting the version requirements.

The documentation for bursting states this:

Pods that use the Performance compute class or the Accelerator compute class can burst in any GKE version that supports that compute class.

In any other compute class and for Pods that don't specify a compute class, bursting is only available if the cluster meets both of the following conditions:

• You originally created the cluster with GKE version 1.26 or later
  • The cluster is running GKE version 1.29.2-gke.1060000 or later

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi, it seems your cluster is not meeting the version requirements.

The documentation for bursting states this:

Pods that use the Performance compute class or the Accelerator compute class can burst in any GKE version that supports that compute class.

In any other compute class and for Pods that don't specify a compute class, bursting is only available if the cluster meets both of the following conditions:

• You originally created the cluster with GKE version 1.26 or later
  • The cluster is running GKE version 1.29.2-gke.1060000 or later

Thanks! I see that it now requires a very recent GKE release and that the page was "Last updated 2024-03-18 UTC.". Any chance something was wrong or did I miss an elephant in the documentation?

That timestamp is for the overall site being updated. I last updated this doc on 2024-03-11 because a bullet point wasn't rendered correctly 😛 We added the version requirement when we published this document for the first time on the 8th of March

Top Labels in this Space