GCP instances throttling upload severely

This issue started a couple days ago.

Regardless of zone, when I create a new GCP instance and try to upload to it (via WinSCP), the speed will start around 1 MBps but then drop progressively to 30 KBps or slower. It feels like server-side throttling and I suspect my IP has been flagged for some reason. My connection is fine. Ping to the instance is fine. I can connect via Putty - everything is normal, just the upload speed is being throttled. Download speed from the instance is very high, > 5 MBps.

I haven't been doing anything bad, and my ul/dl traffic isn't extreme. I ran a long-running job a couple days ago that communicated with my client all night, but the total traffic wouldn't have been crazy.

How do I get Google's attention to fix this without having to pay for support?

2 REPLIES 2

Hello @Kava-Matrix,

Welcome to Google Cloud Community!

I understand the difficulties you are currently having while uploading files to GCP using WinSCP. Slow upload speeds can often be attributed to network latency between your local machine and GCP. Check your internet connection, and if possible, try a different network to see if there's an improvement.

You might also want to consider these things to help you resolve your issue:

• Use a more powerful instance type with higher network throughput capabilities.
  • Instead of using WinSCP, consider using the official Google Cloud Storage command-line tool "gsutil" to upload files directly to GCP. The "gsutil" tool is optimized for working with Google Cloud Storage and may offer better performance.
  • You might also want to check your WinSCP configuration or Transfer settings such as buffer size

Thanks!

Thanks Wilbin. It wasn't a latency issue, but eventually the problem cleared itself after I didn't access GCP for a whole weekend. If it ever happens again I'll try gsutil. In the meantime, thank you very much for your response - I appreciate it.