Best way to use map layers in a project

Hi, 

At Holidu, we have our own definition of vacation areas in our Postgres database, using polygons, and they are updated quite frequently. 

So far I have managed to generate the .toposjon file, upload it to our files folders and use it for one model. But this approach is quite manual, and I would like to find a better way to do the following:

• use the map_layer from a URL in our drive or git repository that’s not public
    • according to help documents, the map layer can be a file or a URL. Given that our areas change frequently, I would like to have the URL option as I will automate this. But when I tried to use a URL from internet as in the example here, it didn’t work. Do I need to change anything in the settings for Looker to access external URLs?
  • use the same map_layer in each model
    • we have several models where this map_layer could be applied and instead of needing to add it in each model, I would like it to be available for the whole project. We are not using manifest files yet in our instance. Would this be an option? If so how? 

@Dawid I have seen you are quite active on this topic, so I hope it’s ok for me to tag you here. 

Thanks! 

0 13 1,238
13 REPLIES 13
Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors