Testing LookML and Looks

J_R1

I love that Looker has the ability to perform #testing on the data within the #lookML. Great details documented here: https://docs.looker.com/reference/model-params/test. Additionally, I know Looker forces the user to use the LookML validator before committing and deploying updates.

I am trying to figure out a solution to an issue I recently ran into where our lookML was updated with descriptions for fields across multiple views example:
dimension: product_id {
type: number
sql: ${TABLE}.“PRODUCT_ID” ;;
description: “Record ID”

During this update, a source field like ${TABLE}.“PRODUCT_ID” was changed to “PRODUCTID”, thus creating an error in all of the looks that use this field. The LookML validator did not catch this and the user didn’t notice either. As a result, users of the Looks/Dashboards ran into errors for multiple hours. Is there a test I can implement for each Model / View to ensure all Looks that use a Model / View is operating without any errors?

Looking to create a health check of all Looks / Dashboards that have significantly grown over the past year. This would be beneficially for me personally because we are about to roll out Looker to our global team. And as more users have access to our LookML, managing each Model / View / Look / Dashboard will be challenging.

2 5 2,228
5 REPLIES 5
Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors