Google Workspace Extension not working properly in Gemini Advanced

I live in Australia and have recently subscribed to Gemini Advanced.  Despite turning on the Extension of Google Workspace, Gemini fails to and sometimes refuses to access documents in Google Drive or Google Docs.  It's worth mentioning it occassionally responds appropriately while accessing my emails on gmail but only occassionally.  Is anyone else facing this issue? 

2 20 1,004
20 REPLIES 20

@ruhailthobhani I believe those extensions are a consumer product intended for @gmail not Google Workspace users. HTH, KAM

@KAM Extensions are coming soon to Workspace

Extensions are sometimes tricky to use due to Chrome browser's frequent updates. I have a rule of thumb when using extensions to be on top of maintaining both OS and browser updates.  Plus I like turning off my extensions until needed to prevent glitches caused by using background resources.

I know my reply doesn't answer the original question but think it is worth sharing when extensions are mentioned.

@DraztheNerd Gemini Extensions are not browser extensions, they're extra features for the Gemini chat, nothing to do with your browser.

Thank you for pointing this out. Kindly note the original poster of this thread mentions extensions and this is what I'm referring to. 

Use extensions in Gemini Apps 

Yes I know what they're referring to: you said "Extensions are sometimes tricky to use due to Chrome browser's frequent updates" - Gemini Extensions are not Chrome Browser Extensions: you appear to be unaware of that and I'm making you aware. 

I'm aware of how to access Gemini Extensions:  https://gemini.google.com/extensions 

and I apologize for using wrong terminology. Either way they still interact with internet browsers and may cause weird glitches due to the background resources they use. Just like the Workspace APPs installed in Google Drive. Technically they aren't installed in the internet browser but do depend on interaction with the internet browser for functionality.

I’m having a similar issue. I’m using Gemini Advanced and trying to get it to analyse a pdf file on my Google Drive, after I have enabled Google Workspace Extension which includes “per advertisement” @gmail, @drive and @docs, and should be able to access your emails, drive files and etc.

But all I get from my prompt to “@Google Drive find the file xyz.pdf and resume it” is:

Unfortunately, I can't directly interact with your Google Drive to fulfill this request. Here's why, and how I can still help:

Limitations

• Accessing Files: I'm a language model and don't have the ability to navigate your Google Drive's file structure, locate specific files, or open PDFs.
  • PDF Analysis: Analyzing the content of a PDF with suggestions for improvement would involve complex visual understanding and potentially knowledge of specific presentation design principles…
  • Blablablabla…

Can we get some support from Google to this issue? 
Thanks in advance! 

its like Gemini always finds excuses to not use the extensions and will instead give me a synopsis of how he would search my drive or how I can. It worked correctly sometimes when they first released the extensions but now it is frustrating because it doesnt work anymore.

the extensions seemed to work sometimes when they first released them but now they never work for me and gemini will either give me a breakdown how it would search my drive or steps i can take so search it or wil tell me that it cannot access for privacy or that it cant help. what is the point of the extensions if we annot even used them. is there a trick I should know about to access them?

it stopped working today altogether for some reason, but for the record, the experience withe Gemini Extensions have been inconsistent to say the least, and mediocre at best.

Just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing are we talking about the "Extensions (coming soon)" features in the Geminin Chat interface https://gemini.google.com/
Screenshot 2024-04-15 18.12.35.png

If that's what you're not referring to please can you elaborate further.

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 2.08.07 pm.pngThis is now available. However, I am experiencing the same issues as the original poster. It used to work, however, it is becoming more and more inefficient, and suddenly this advertised feature has just suddenly stopped working! 

Any pieces of advice on circumnavigating this issue would be appreciated. Thank you in advanced. 

@Rayash1 no it's not available to Google Workspace users: the screenshot you have shared is from a personal account paying for Gemini Advanced via Google One - none of that is available to Google Workspace.

This is not the case for me. I was able to also interact with Google Drive using my personal account. It IS available and I have been able to access it. 

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 8.51.52 pm.png

@Rayash1 this is a Google Workspace forum, nothing to do with personal Google Accounts.  No one has suggested that this shouldn't work for personal Google Accounts as it's only available to personal Google Accounts - it's not available to Google Workspace accounts which is the focus of this forum.

Will come to Google Workspace in the future?

You might want to have a look in the NDAed product roadmaps to see if there’s anything there about this. See

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/custom/page/page-id/Workspace-Roadmap-FAQ

for how to request access.

Note: This section of GCC is public, so items that you may see on the roadmap should not be discussed here, as that would violate the NDA.

Hope that helps,

Ian

it is NOT clear and confusing what is available (google' s habit of constantly changing  naming is also NOT helping)

https://support.google.com/gemini/answer/13695044

this link as of today contains the two following statements at the same time 

1. Sign in with your personal Google Account that you manage on your own. Extensions, including the Google Workspace extension, are currently not available to work or school accounts. Extensions for users with the Gemini for Google Workspace add-on will be available soon.

Connect Google Workspace apps & services in Extensions setting
  1. On your computer, go to gemini.google.com.
  2. Make sure you’re signed in to the same account you use with Google Workspace.
  3. At the top, click Extensions 

4. Turn on Google Workspace.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

https://youtu.be/VqTjJubt0kE?si=4rWm7dDWzuG8Xb2Z

this  you tube video, 3 months old,  use clearly enabling workspace under extensions 

@ZoTaR you're confusing what's available to personal Google Accounts and Google Workspace accounts:

1. Google Workspace Accounts - Gemini Extensions are NOT available, but are "coming soon"
  2. Personal Google Accounts - Gemini Extensions ARE available right now.

The help centre article you mentioned is the Google Workspace Accounts current situation (not available but "coming soon") and the video you provided a link to is not from Google and features a Personal Google Account, NOT a Google Workspace Account.

Always keep in mind that when Google says "coming soon" it quite often means 6 months or more away.