No cost option waiting list

I have G Suite legacy free edition. Now Google changes the services. I got the message below. But I cannot find how to join this waiting list in the Admin console. Any support will be much appreciated. 

"If you want the no cost option, you need to join this waiting list in the Google Admin console before June 1, 2022, so your account is not automatically upgraded to Google Workspace. Those on the waiting list will remain on the G Suite legacy free edition until the no-cost option is available. Once the no-cost option is available, weโ€™ll be in touch with more details on what will happen to your account. You will have 60 days to evaluate the no-cost option or choose Google Workspace before any changes are made to your account."

Solved Solved
35 155 14.8K
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

155 REPLIES 155

Not only has the 'update before 31 May' message gone, but I now have this message in my admin console:

ReturnOfTheMac_0-1652720856292.png

Maybe Google have silently reneged on the switch over?

So do i. But no information from Google, Donโ€™t know what will happend 1st of june? Will my custom domain stop working?

The promo with 50% discount also disappeared.

But the learn more hyperlink still reporting the deadline of June 1, 2022 ๐Ÿ˜ž 

I have verified that there is now rolling out a free option to continue with Legacy for personal use

https://support.google.com/a/answer/60217?product_name=UnuFlow

https://admin.google.com/?action_id=SE_SELF_TRANSITION

Excellent news! Annoying for those that already transitioned... Glad I waited! 

It's possible to go back.

It's even part of the support assistant. 

Hi, Kim, I'm one the unfortunate ones who, in good faith, upgraded "early". I have a domain-connected account, and would like to return to the Free Legacy version.

What do you mean by "part of the support assistant"? I went to the "Help Assistant" in the Admin console, and thrashed around there for a while but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

-Paul

It depends on what you ask for.

Instead open a chat with a support agent, and you should get help. 

Thanks, but I was hoping to avoid that, and "help myself", as I usually do...

I'd hoped that when you said "part of the support assistant", that there was actually somewhere online I could go to initiate the process myself.

Ah, well... I guess I'll have to go through all that... Thanks again!

Cheers,

-Paul

I just relayed what I had seen an image of someone asking questions to the assistant, and eventually a button to convert appeared. ๐Ÿ™‚

But, those to transferred early may be best served by talking to the support.

Got it. Thanks!

Just accepted the "personal use" Let's see how it goes for my clients...

If you have "clients", then you obviously don't qualify for "personal use". 

And also, maybe they don't either. One usually don't refer to private citizens as clients.

I did not get this option. Been checking week after week since announcement.

Then contact support and they will help you.

Do it before 27 June.

Be careful with the support though...I did kindly ask to exchange my secondary domain with TLD ".in" with the one with TLD ".eu" (I own both)...now I have no secondary domain anymore, because support did mess up and I wait since weeks for somebody to fix it. All I want by now is that they restore the old status quo and re-add the old secondary domain.

PS: I'm talking about a secondary domain, not an alias domain.

Legacy and no-cost should/does not allow secondary domains, only alias.

Only paid Workspace does. 

That is not 100% correct. There was a time when the free Google Apps offer did allow for secondary domains. Originally I had 1 primary and 3 secondary domains. A few years ago I did remove one secondary because I didn't use the domain anymore an the second one I did remove when Google did announce they'll discontinue the free accounts.
The third one I did remove with Google Support on the phone, having him watch and record everything I did with screensharing via Google Meet, because he told me I'll be able to add the other Domain as new secondary if I do it. When it didn't work, he told me he'll contact another more specialized department. Then I got the answer, that they won't add the new domain because of policy.

The only thing I want them to do by now is to re-add the one, I did only remove, because they told me I have to in order to add the other one. I would've never removed that one otherwise.

PS: It did all start when I did ask them to exchange my existing ".in" domain with the new ".eu" one as goodwill. I did migrate my email inboxes away in order to prepare for discontinuation of the service and at the same time, at the new provider, I did start to use the new domain as my primary, because living in europe and being a native here it was more convenient.

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes you get a support agent who doesn't really know what the rules are, and what they can and can not do. 

How do i contact support? i tried but got the assistant and can't really type anything there.

You can write a ticket here: https://support.cloud.google.com/

//edit: you have to be logged in with your gsuite (admin) account.

Thanks for that! Did like your post ๐Ÿ™‚

Unfortunately my case went unnoticed, no reply whatsoever.

You still have a few days to communicate with support.

They have helped pretty much everyone else, so they should help you too. Just keep reaching out to them. 

Should I create a new ticket? Or write msg in the existing one? What
category should I use? I think I mistakenly used billing but didn't know
what else to use.

Thanks
Ralph

Hello Kim, I circled around on support but seems I can never get to the contact real support. can you show me how?

Hi, as stated before, don't use the chat. Use the support portal instead: https://support.cloud.google.com/

so, I wanted to get in this waiting list but the email I personally use would not login to admin anymore. Sign in with an administrator account
To sign in to admin.google.com, use an administrator account for a managed Google service, such as Google Workspace or Cloud Identity. used to sign in to admin.google.com.  I used legacy gmail free edition for my personal single email all this time. will it stop working, I couldn't find a way to reach out google for the request to keep it free.

Unfortunately, it could be too late, or at least much harder now. The deadline was 27th June. 

I've opened my ticket on the 17th, and i've tried to follow up with replies, but seems i'm being ghosted with 0 replies.

@Willie_Turney any chance any mod can help out here?

This entire process has been very chaotic from beginning to what-seems-to-be-no-end. People who are losing admin control of their Legacy domains now have no path to contact Support to regain control over their domains, upgrade to Workspace or opt-in for the no-cost version.

Have you seen that!?!?

They've just REMOVED the option to buy more space in Workspace accounts today(!), even for the ones that already stated to be for personal usage.

I can't recall ANY notification about that (they clearly notify everything, and even write this paragraphs for "What should I do?").

gMail account's can still upgrade the amount, and with a good offer for the first year, but it's not even the 27th of June and they've already changed the conditions for most.

The only ones that can still upgrade their storage amount by paying a monthly fee are the ones that haven't decided anything yet.

So this seems a move to catch/trap all the ones who haven't decided to stay or not.

Doesn't feels nice, almost like the wolf's mouth.

What do you mean?

I don't think I ever had an option to buy storage for an individual user in Workspace. Storage in Workspace is increased by changing the user licence.

In G Suite and Google Apps, maybe it was possible. I just don't remember. 

Yes, it was available for Legacy Google Workspace users, up until 23rd of June 2022.

I think it has to do with the changes how storage limits work in workspace. You don't hage individual storage anymore, but shared storage which you can extend and which gets extended with every new user. You can then set limits for the users.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work with gsuite legacy. At the same time it seems like they now did remove the ability for extending storage for individual accounts on gsuite legacy. Probably to bully us into getting a fully paid version if we need more storage, instead of accepting the payments for storage some users are willing to do.

Top Solution Authors