App Hardware Performance when editing Definition

I’ve got an App which is hugely complicated, such that a save & verify always takes well over 4mins. Which is a PITA. I’m fully aware of how to reprogram the App to reduce this. But it got me wondering how much of this time is down to the processing capacity of the computer? Since I assume that everything is verified locally rather than in the cloud.

My PC is getting on a bit now and I’d happily buy a new one if it would improve the performance. Especially moving columns in a slice, which causes the PC to become unresponsive for 5-10secs when moving each one!

Just to find out if it made a difference I kept the same hardware but installed Ubuntu on a new SSD. To compare it to my Windows setup. Both used the latest versions of Chrome, with Linux taking about 20secs longer than Windows.

On windows, I’ve also compared Chrome against Firefox. Which was a draw - both took the same to within a couple of seconds.

Does anyone else have any experience they like to share regarding hardware performance?

1 9 391
9 REPLIES 9
Top Labels in this Space