Best Structure for Keys/Labels in Google Sheet to manipulate data in Google Sheets AND AppSheet

Hi,
I have a question regarding the proper setup of keys/labels in Google Sheets so I can add and edit data in AppSheet AND in Google Sheets:

I have a Customer table (Columns: Primary Key, Customer Name)
and a Contacts table (Columns: Primary Key, Contact Name, Customers Primary Key, Customer Name)
Multiple Contacts can be related to one Customer.
The Primary Key Values are created either with AppSheetโ€™s UNIQUEID() or manually in Google Sheets with =DEC2HEX(RANDBETWEEN(0; 4294967295); 8).

My main problem is that in

• Google Sheets I usually use the Customer Name (which is set as the Label in AppSheet) instead of the Primary Key (set as Key in AppSheet) as a dropdown validation to make connecting tables human-readable but
  • AppSheet references use the Keys instead of Labels to connect tables.

That means that when I enter a new Contacts record in AppSheet, I have to pull the Customer Name through the Customers Primary Key into the new record, which works with the expression [Customers Primary Key].[Customer Name] as Initial Value in Customer Name.

But how do I properly enter new data in Google Sheets directly? When I add a Customer Name to a Contacts record with my dropdown validation, I would then have to pull the Customers Primary Key of this Customer Name from the Customers table. I could do it with a VLOOKUP ARRAYFORMULA but then I canโ€™t really add new data to the Customers Primary Key column through AppSheet because ARRAYFORMULA only works when the cells to be filled are empty.
I could also use a normal VLOOKUP and copy-paste the formula down when I add a new record in Google Sheets directly but I want to avoid this manual work.

So my question is: How do I solve this in Google Sheets?
Or how do I generally setup proper Keys with UNIQUEID() and labels so that I can add data in AppSheet AND Google Sheets? Is there a better way?

Thanks so much!

Francis

0 5 2,979
5 REPLIES 5
Top Labels in this Space