Bulk cross referencing in as few clicks as possible

3X_7_4_747f87d8644f934e0cb0b0f5e496cf0f2d6150d7.png

I have 2 tables

1. Tracking Numbers (Master / Parent) Table 1 is a listing of Job numbers
  2. Related Tracking Numbers (Child) Table 2 is a listing of cross referenced Job Numbers

The image above shows the Tracking number table. You will notice that 3524 is a “Master Invoice”. 3525, 26, 27, 28, 29, & 30 are all also their own Tracking numbers but are also related tracking numbers to the Master Invoice 3524.

I currently have the system set up that you can create a new Tracking Number, and then using a child table “Related Tracking Numbers” tie in any and all other other existing tracking numbers.

The Dream…

I would like to be able to be able to (like a bulk delete), be able to pick all the numbers that are related, then say OK or NEXT, pick the “Master / Parent number”, click Save and have it create a listing of all the selected children in the “Related Tracking Numbers” under the Master number.

Currently I am manually adding the master/parent number to all of the children under each child’s “Related Tracking Numbers” and then the adding the list child numbers “Related Tracking Numbers” each to the master.

Now I am no stranger to “Actions”, and I do image that this whole process would involve “Data execute an action on a set of rows”. That said I’ve never been down this part of the rabbit hole before and there doesn’t seem to be anything that I can find which demonstrates what I’d like to do.

Hive mind what say you?

Solved Solved
0 7 245
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If the understanding of your requirement is correct, you could try the INPUT() function.

In the child table’s ref column , please have valid_if as ParentTable[Parent Key]

Then please have an action on the child table that sets the ref column [MASTER TRACKING NUMBER] to the master table with an expression something like

INPUT( “MASTER TRACKING NUMBER”, [MASTER TRACKING NUMBER] )

You can then bulk select the parent tracking number in the child table’ stable view and Input function will present a list of all “MASTER TRACKING NUMBER” s to select from.

Please note that I quickly tested the concept and it works. You will need extensive testing at your end as some test scenarios I might have missed.

The below video shows the parent table ID( “Order ID”) from a list of parent table ids being assigned to child table “Order Details” selected records.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Top Labels in this Space