Child Form in a Parent Form Dereference Concern

Does dereferencing work on initial values in a Child Form from a Parent Form?

Context:

• Parent table: disbursement (total amount check issued) - a new record is created for each check issued. (e.g. Total amount of check issued is $100)

• Child table: composition of the disbursement (e.g from the $100 disbursement, $20 is allocated to Office Expense while the other $80 is allocated to Salaries Expenses)

As I enter a new parent record, I also required my users to input the breakdown of the disbursement, requiring them to enter itโ€™s child record.

Now, there is a portion in the childโ€™s form where the value already exists in the parent (e.g. Date of disbursement, Name of Payee)

I tried dereferencing by doing [ParentRefColumn].[ParentColumn] in the initial value. Upon checking, that column was blank when the child form was opened from the parent form.

Also: The parent form is in a slice, then the referenced child is also in a slice. The childโ€™s parentRefColumn is referenced to the original table not the slice (does this effect the dereferencing somehow?)

Am I doing something wrong? Or it just wonโ€™t work this way, since the parent record is not yet recorded?

0 3 208
3 REPLIES 3
Top Labels in this Space