Confusion using the the LookUp Expression

Hi team,

After reading the LookUp article and watching YouTube videos I am still very confused using the LookUp Expression.

I think my confusion is coming from the “Find Value” part of the Lookup.

First, my aim is to auto generate an address into a table from another table.

Example:

Table A has the following three columns and fields:

Agreement Number / Name / Site Address
123 / Test Name / 1345 Dublin Rd Frankling California 44321

Table B, which is the one I’m using the VLookup in looks like the following:

Agreement Number / Building Name / Site Address

In Table B I wrote my formula as the following:

Lookup(Agreement Number, Table A, Site Address, Site Address)

So what I believe this is saying is Lookup the value by the Agreement Number, Look in Table A for the value, Look in the Site Address column of Table A, and return the matching value in the Site Address column of Table B.

The formula has no errors, but the column “Site Address” no longer shows up in the app for Table B.

PS: I know creating a virtual column and referencing could be easier. But the issue I’m running into is that Table B is already being referenced to another Table (not Table A) that doesn’t have the Site Address column.

Hopefully this is explained well.

Solved Solved
0 9 267
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would attempt as follows:

LOOKUP([Agreement Number], "Waver Form", "Agreement Number", "Jobsite Address")

So your VC is in Table B, so the way this statement gets interpreted is:

LOOKUP( the value of column [Agreement Number] in this row from this table (i.e. table B), in table “Waver Form” (i.e. table A), match with column “Agreement Number” in table A, return the value from column “Jobsite Address” (from table A))

I think that should do what you want, unless I underestimated my Appsheet skills. Still relatively new myself.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Top Labels in this Space