Create log table for each data change in other table

Hi all,

I'm quite new in using Appsheet and I'm building a simple application in which every data change in Table 1 has to be copied into Table 2 (as a Log table).

I've already created the action "Effect: Data: add a new row to another table using values from this row" to copy values from Table 1 to Table 2. I've then created the automation that for each DATA CHANGE (add, deletes, updates) runs the action.

When I try it by modifying or adding a new row in Table 1 the automation doesn't work and I can't see any new row in Table 2.

Anyone can help me on this?

Thanks,

Leandro

0 3 109
3 REPLIES 3

I would recommend starting by looking in the Automation Monitor (this can be accessed by hitting "Monitor" on a Bot or "Manage" in the navigation bar>"Monitor" in Side Menu>"Automation Monitor">"Launch Automation Monitor". This should give you some insights into why it is not working. 

If you cannot find your bot in there at all then there is something wrong with the way you set up the event. Or if it is in there but erroring, the error message may provide some insight and it is likely an issue with the step (action) that you created.

I think in order to find a specific solution I would need to see some screenshots of the bot (event and the action linked to it). 

I would also like to say, while audit logs can be super helpful, just keep in mind that this could potentially be a lot of rows adding to your app. You may want to consider adding some security filters or purging old data every so often to help with the long-term efficiency of your apps. In my experience audit logs get out of hand a lot sooner than we think they will.

Hi Alyssa, I've restarted the project using App sheet dB instead of excel spreadsheets and it works. I can't tell you why, but the same configuration works now. Maybe because I worked more cleanly.

I'll keep in my mind what you wrote about performance impact of log table. Unfortunately I need all data changes done in the table 1 in a year to properly calculate expenditure, taxes, etc.

Thanks again,

Leandro

Interesting. I am glad that you got it working! If I had to guess it is related to this same bug that I posted about this morning. It only appears to be happening in excel. 

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/Update-Bots-Running-with-Old-Data-and-Add-Bots-...

Top Labels in this Space