Easy way to order 700+ columns?

I have one form that has over 700 columns. I've added some virtual columns that I would like to arrange in the middle of the form. Is there anyway to do this without painstakingly clicking on every column name in the Column Order dropdown?

0 5 218
  • UX
5 REPLIES 5

I think you may want to re-evaluate your app design.  There is no way a single Table (and subsequently a Form) should have 700 columns!!  Ouch!! 

This likely means you have your table in a non-normal Form which will create extreme issues for you with managing the app and any calculations you will likely need across columns.  Not to mention the amount of time you will be spending making changes when needed.  AppSheet just isn't designed to operate across columns.  It is a row-based system.

If you can describe your app with some sample data examples,  we here in the Community can help you get your app on a more manageable track.

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 10.14.18 PM.png

To give you an idea of what we are creating, we are digitizing 20+ pages of forms that contain 100+ prompts that require a score of 1-5 for 5 different time stamps. There's not a lot of calculation between the columns except for tallying up the total score. Right now each prompt is a show field and each is followed by 5 enum fields that take score for each time period. How could we have done this better?

It looks like you have your table defined precisely as needed in your image!  I presume currently your 700 columns are the "work related skills"?

Instead create the table exactly as shown - skills each in it's own row. 

Rows do not need to be user entered data.  they can be pre-established data that users then edit - such as updating the scores for each Qtr.

With a table defined in this way you will ALSO be able to easily insert/remove/update skills VERY easily and you can sum scores across the rows with a simple SUM expression.

Your life, app life that is, will be so much easier!

Thanks! What type of row would the prompt be then? Should they be enum types? Number?

Also with this method I'd still need to rearrange the 100+ rows as the virtual columns used for calculating section sum scores need to be in the middle of the form instead of at the end. Is that unavoidable?

@riaxi18 wrote:

Also with this method I'd still need to rearrange the 100+ rows as the virtual columns used for calculating section sum scores need to be in the middle of the form instead of at the end. Is that unavoidable?

I assume the "section sum scores" are subtotals?  

If so, Sections are just groupings, so I would recommend adding a column to assign a [Section] to each skill listed.

I would then suggest to use a Grouped Table View.  Table views have a Grouping property and allow you to select an aggregate function.   In your case you can group by Section and then choose a SUM aggregate on the column you wish to be summed for a Subtotal 

Check this link for more details:  Control Grouping

SOOO....

I would break your view into 2 parts to make it fit an AppSheet app.  You have the MAIN table view that is grouped.  You can then make this table view Editable by turning on the Table QuickEdit.  You can then tap the proper button at the top of the screen to place the table in EDIT mode and update the Quarterly scores.  Save and switch back to the main Table view to see the updated values and the Subtotals.

Top Labels in this Space