Edit from the API doesn't trigger a sync (no shock i guess)

I think I know the answer, but I figured I'll double check.

I had gotten myself under the impression (I think by misreading this post from GreenFlux) that calling the AppSheet API to do an Edit would cause a client to sync. (I guess, how would it know... fair enough.) 

Am I correct that if I use the Appsheet API to make edits, the app will still not sync until another action of some kind causes the sync?

Assuming I am correct, I'm not sure why I should use the API to do the edits instead of making them directly to the backend. Is there any practical distinction to me editing some records directly in my google sheet, rather than via the API, since even if I update via the API, the client will be out-of-sync until some other activity forces it?

Apologies for wrapping  myself a bit around the axle. I know it's pretty common for people to want to make external updates and come up empty. Just trying to understand the decisions/tradeoffs I need to make. 

Billy

Solved Solved
0 8 150
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

@billyfw wrote:

In general, my question was really: when I directly update the sheet (without the API), I find that the values I update still sync when some user action causes a sync. So I don't see too much resulting difference in making the edit directly vs. using the API. 

Using the API will apply all of the configuration you've given your app: default values, data validation, access control, actions, bot triggers, etc. Manual changes offer none of that--unless you use External Eventing (which only triggers bots).

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Top Labels in this Space