Enumlist with base type ref does not work on dashboard - interactive mode

It is most likely I will end up with feature request, but let me share my observation before going there.

Currently we have functionality to set the base type to REF or any other type as we want for ENUM, ENUMLIST type. Same story for LIST Type field that is only available in Virtual column.

Now I have two table, each stands Parent and Child respectively.

On the child table, I have physical column with ENUMLIST type , and base type is set to ref and reference table is made to Parent table. As usual, the expression is set to validif constrain to look up list of the parent records so that we give the dropdown selection to the users.

Now, on the child row, we let the user to pick up the parent record they wish to make a relationship. Compared wiht normal ref type parent/child relationship, single child record can select the multiple-parent records as we want.

For the moment, Appsheet is not auto-generate the virtual column (I have opinion they should make though) in the parent table as LIST type field, to list up the related child record. So I make the list type (or even Enumlist type will work) virtual column in parent to list up the related child record.

What is the difference by then, between this set up and the usual parent/child relationship set up, using ref type field?

REF type column ; One parent can have multiple childs, and one child can only have one parent.
ENUMLIST with base type ref ; One parent can have multiple childs, and one child can have multiple parents!

In short, REF type relationship will generate โ€œone to manyโ€ relationship, but ENUMLIST(or LIST) with base type REF will make โ€œMany to Manyโ€ relationship.

Awesome!

Now both tables are connected and we are able to uses REVERSE REF expression, to track and trace the field in child record from parent, or from child to parent vice varsa.

BUT THE PROBLEM IS

When we place the views into dashboard, one from parent, another from child, I was on the assumption that filtering action will be applied once we set the dashboard to INTERACTIVE mode.
But not true.

Once one record is selected in the parent table / view, then it should filer the rest of view, i.e. child list view accordingly, but currently it is not. Same story should apply, once one record is selected in child table view on the dashboard, it should filter the rest of view, i.e Parent table accordingly.

ENUMLIST/LIST with base type REF is opened up the new opportunities and possibility with Appsheet, but for the time being, it looks like (if im not wrong), this feature is not supported.

Or it should work now? just I m doing something wrong?

Thank you.

@TDhers

7 14 1,206
14 REPLIES 14
Top Labels in this Space