Fastest Way to Create Large Number of Rows

I'm looking to build a functionality that will create (for example) 700 rows upon execution across 7 tables (Grandparent, parents, children).  These are my options:

1. A single grouped action that creates all 700 rows on the device, which then will take a very very long time to save to server (very bad UX)
  2. A single action that triggers a BOT to create the 700 rows on server, and sync with asynch mode OFF, such that the sync will not complete until the 700 rows are all created and ready to be sent to the device (long sync time, depending on how long the BOT takes to run)
  3. BOT with asynch mode ON, such that the BOT runs in the background (result not visible until some time later and user manually syncs)
  4. BOT to send webhook to Appsheet API (I suspect same time taken as BOT but not sure)
  5. BOT to send webhook to our third party webapp to insert the rows, and return when complete to allow sync to finish.  This option we have some control over speed with multi-threading, and virtual machine configuration etc.
  6. Create some triggers on our MySQL DB to insert the rows (as actually all variables in the new rows can be calculated from other tables)

Any other ideas, and in particular experience out there as to how to create such a large number or rows as quickly as possible with good UX?

@MultiTech @Aleksi @Bellave_Jayaram 

Solved Solved
2 21 1,096
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The best option is to use AppSheet API as it's happening on the server side. Adding 700 rows takes probably 10+ secs (actually it will take the same even with 7000 rows) as they will be created as a bulk. BUT.. if you have even one virtual column in your table, that will ruin this as it needs to be calculated row by row and throws a timeout error. What I have used in a case like this.. create a dummy app for the same data source as you can trigger the API in another app with the Bot. In this AppB you don't need to have those virtual columns as it is just for the filling purpose. 

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Top Labels in this Space