Google Sheets formulas & native apps

We’re developing an app that relies heavily on the IMPORTDATA function and several ARRAYFORMULAs, QUERYs, and other such Google Sheets functions to chop a single column of imported ICAL (not a Google calendar) data up into columns and rows, so Appsheet can process the data as ordinary records.

This is working fine in prototyping, and I expect it will work when deployed to our internal users, but my concern has to do with deploying as a white label native app, which we hope to do at some point in the future.

My question is whether these Google Sheets functions and formulas (and scripts for that matter) compile somehow into the exported native app along with the functions, bots, etc. I’m entering via Appsheet or do I have to figure out how duplicate this processing in the Appsheet environment?

Also, there are multiple tabs in our underlying Google Sheet for processing ICAL data from multiple urls, and the resulting data is then aggregated in a single sheet with a single query of all of the tabs. I didn’t create Appsheet tables for each of those individual sheets, just for the master sheet with the aggregated data. Again, this works fine in the prototype, but my concern is that if I don’t have an Appsheet table for each of those tabs they won’t “exist” in the exported native app and I won’t be able to call them.

My first objective is to make an app that works for our organization, but I don’t want to have to tear it all down and redesign it later if it turns out all or part of the underlying Google Sheets structure won’t make it into the published app.

Any advice on how I can do it right the first time?

1 7 222
7 REPLIES 7
Top Labels in this Space