Hello everybody! I'm wondering if there is a...

Hello everybody!

I’m wondering if there is a way to reference a slice in an expression?

I’m trying to get around a cycle where a table is referencing itself and read in another thread from Praveen Seshadri that the only way this could be done is by referencing the slice instead of referencing the column in the original table.

What I am trying to do is for the initial value of a column to be whatever the input was in the previous row of that same column.

I created virtual columns to do the maxrow, and then created another virtual column as the “initial client name” and then referenced that column in the initial value field of the “Client Name” column, but it keeps coming up with a cycle.

So I created a slice of the table I am in, and am hoping to change the [maxrow] virtual column and [initial client] column to reference the slice instead of the original table to prevent the cycle.

But every time I try using “Design Numbers Reorganization Table Slice” in an expression in the column structure of the original column, it does not verify.

I’m wondering if I should be using some other punctuation/verbage to indicate that it is a slice, not the original table?

Thanks so much for your help! Miranda

0 43 691
43 REPLIES 43

@Steven_Coile thanks!

what is maxcol?

Another maxrow() possibility might be:

maxrow(MyTable, MaxCol, ([MaxCol] < [_thisrow].[MaxCol]))

This has the advantage of producing accurate values for every row, new or old. My previous suggestion only produces an accurate value for a new row.

@Steven_Coile sorry, also to specify. Client Name is not the key.

It can’t be.

The key is a concat of a few different things, and I need to client name to only show the client name, not the key

@Steven_Coile again, please what do you mean by MaxCol???

Top Labels in this Space