How Can I Pull an Initial Value from a Child Table?

Hello,

We have an app that we use to track student data. Students complete a Google Form to sign-up for our classes. This form asks for basic info like phone numbers, emails, preferred schedule, county, etc. After a student signs up, I create a record for them in the Students table, which is a parent to the Sign-Up Form table. The Students table then serves a hub, which is linked to many child tables.

User need to be able to see data from the Sign-Up Form in the Students table. To accomplish this, I have created a series of virtual columns that pull from the Sign-Up Form to display the phone numbers, emails, preferred schedule, county, etc. This works fairly well. However, the issue is that this makes changing this data much more difficult, since it canโ€™t be done from the Students table.

I was thinking/hoping I could use the same virtual column formulas to set initial values for these columns in the Students table. That way the starting value is pulled from the related record in the child table, but can then later be updated/edited. However, this doesnโ€™t seem to work. The initial value formula just produces a blank entry. Is there a workaround, or a way to make this happen?

I thought about using a button in the Students table. But I canโ€™t figure out a way to make the button make a change to the related record in the child table.

Thank you!

0 5 321
5 REPLIES 5
Top Labels in this Space