I have a simple form that I need to work out ...

I have a simple form that I need to work out 3 problems on and hoping its possible and someone can help. The way the form works is my users will be using a barcode scanner to enter books into my database. The bookโ€™s ISBN number which is read from the barcode scan is the primary key for the spreadsheet.

Here are the problems, in order of importance:

1. If someone happens to have more than one copy of the same book in the batch they are currently working on, it throws an error due to duplicate primary key. I am trying to figure out a formula that allows for it to simply increment the quantity of the previously listed book by 1 (so for instance the second time someone tries to scan the same ISBN, the row with the previously scanned book would change quantity from 1 to 2, or 2 to 3, etc)

2. Is there a way to set up something within the โ€˜valid ifโ€™ conditions that would allow the field to only accept alpha numeric inputs that are either 10 digits or 13 digits?

3. When I hit save on the form, I currently have it set to automatically restart the form for me to be able to make another entry, but after the first entry the cursor doesnt automatically populate the first field anymore, which causes me to always have to click it with my finger before I can scan a new book entry into the database. When dealing with hundreds of books this slows things down considerably. Is it possible to make the cursor always appear in the first record after saving?

0 9 822
9 REPLIES 9
Top Labels in this Space