Need help creating a summary report template

Hi all, I could really use some help in creating a summary report template. I have one table where timekeeping information is kept, another table with employee information. I need my template to pull a unique list of employee names from the timekeeping table based on the dates that the report creator specifies, I then need the template to sum the hours for each employee according to a very specific template so that it can be used with some old software.

I know how to collect the user input and generate the start expression required to generate the unique list of employee names, but Iโ€™m struggling to understand how I can sum each row in the template. My start expression is:
<<Start: Select(employee information[key], IN([full name],Select(activities[full employee name], AND([Date] >= [_THISROW].[Start Date], [Date] <= [_THISROW].[End Date]), TRUE)))>>

This gives me my unique list of employee names, but my template needs to also sum the hours for multiple different entries on the timekeeping table โ€œactivitiesโ€ and total them up next to each employee name. Template below:

My sum expression would be something like the below but itโ€™s missing a mechanism to match up with only the selected employee for each line:
<<sum(Select(activities[activity total], [Date] >= [_THISROW].[Start Date], [Date] <= [_THISROW].[End Date]))

Iโ€™m failing to understand how I can align this with the start expression and make the sum only be for each listed employee name. I hope I explained this well enough. I wish there were more examples of how to generate complex summary templates that pull data from multiple sources. All Iโ€™m trying to do is generate payroll reports. I would also love to be able to generate something similar in an .xls file or similar. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solved Solved
1 5 1,281
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I finally got this working by learning how to properly access a parent record using [_THISROW-1] from the start expression guide. Thanks for the help!

<<SUM(SELECT(activities[activity total],AND([Date]>=[Start Date],[Date]<=[End Date],[full employee name]=[_THISROW-1].[full name])))>>

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Top Labels in this Space